Tuesday, August 18, 2015

finding my confidence again


What a slow slog it has been in this effort to recover from the accident.
i thank God that the Fall semester has begun!
That is forcing me out of the house,
into the car,
onto the road.
Sure, I've been going to see my boys of summer... but that is just around the corner from the middle school I attended. My family lived too close for the bus to pick me up, so I walked the mile and a piece to it.
In other words, it's pretty close and I know the non-busy route.
Sure, I've gone to some movies, too... but those are no farther than the stadium... and I know the safer ways to them.
The grocery store is less than a half-mile from my house.
I've had my car back for less than a week. That means, really, I've been off the road for most of two weeks.
Me.
Not driving.
For most of two weeks.
That is unheard of. Everyone knows what a social butterfly I am, attending diverse events all over town, spreading the love and the joy.
Of late, that has only happened if someone has fetched me to the event.
After the drive to Tybee on Friday, I cancelled my attendance at Angela's birthday party. It was to be held at Tybee, all day on Saturday.
I simply was not up for the drive and the weekend traffic and trying to finding parking and... I was not up for it.
Her daughter's birthday is later this month, so I will be sure to be there. It's in town, even though it will be southside, at Olive Garden.
That's near the school.
By the end of the month, I'll have plenty of practice driving out that far.
I'll have to do so. Now that school has begun, I have a responsibility to thirty paying clients to be the one in charge, two nights a week.
The invisible trees will just have to take a break.

No comments: