Sunday, October 5, 2014

you ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?


Tonight, I danced with a homeless man in the pale moonlight! Not nearly as dramatic as dancing with the devil, I'm sure, but it certainly had an equivalent impact on those around me.
This was the annual Picnic In The Park, with musical accompaniment by the Savannah Philharmonic and the Savannah Theatre entertainers. That last was a surprise! They were not on the program at all, appearing in the second hour with a medley from "Mama Mia!" and with Gretchen singing "Let it Go" from the oh-so-popular movie, "Frozen".
How did I come to be dancing with the homeless man?
Well, here's the set-up. I had arrived to Forsyth Park about 6:30 PM, to join a meetup group. I've gone to a couple of events with these ladies, some of whom I know from No Kidding!, so that's a plus. Anywho, I was actually a little late, but still well in time for the main event of music. I actually managed to find the group (!), and then, while we were waiting for others to return to our picnic site, I wandered off to admire the decorated tables.
You see, the event includes prizes for best-decor, in keeping with the theme of "Fly Me To The Moon". Nice, right? Even the moon was down with that! The woman who had set this as an event for our group is an artist. Her depiction of folks being flown to the moon, to play among the stars, was the focal point of the floral centerpiece for our table. I was allowed to carry it off, giving the flowers to Boo and Sandy. Sah-weet!
So, as I said, I was off to admire others' handiwork.


From tables laden with plates and bowls brim-full of food...

to simple picnic baskets on blankets...

or table linens set with fine crystal and bone china under soft candlelight...

while some brewed moonshine under the moon's pale glow...

and others invited you to step back in time...

on this flight to the moon and the stars...
(The real moon is between the moon and star in this photo, but my lens did not capture its essence.)
By the time the music had begun, I was still cruising the scenery!
Then, I heard my name... and heard it again! KT! Deborah! Jamie! So I detoured to their tent, enjoying tasty snacks and sandwiches and company for a while. Actually, I was there until intermission.
Oops! Time to rejoin the others!
Off I headed, back to the Pulaski monument, which was serving as the location beacon for the 40+WSN. By now, night was in full swing and trying to find the group took a little longer than I had expected. Oh, no, I thought, had they moved? Gone home early?
Then I found them!
And, right away, I had a man approach me and ask me to dance.
"To this song?" I asked.
"Yes, you just have to dance slowly," he replied.
And, dance we did, turning and dipping and raising our arms to the beat of "The Imperial March", more commonly known as "Darth Vader's Theme". Fun!!!
We received claps from onlookers, then he was off into the crowds.
I returned to my group, to be met with kudos for not being afraid to do anything! Nice to have folks think I'm fearless, right?
Then, I asked who the guy was.
Just someone who had just approached them, wanting to know if they had any wine.
What? They didn't know him??
Heck, I had though he was part of the group! I had even given him a handshake-into-a-hug when I came up.
Would I have danced with him if I had known he was a stranger?
Probably so.
I don't tend to say no to folks who ask me to dance.
Would I have been so free in my style?
Well, again, probably so.
He was being very free in his style, so that gave me carte blanche to follow his lead.
Did I have fun?
Admittedly so!
And, in case you're wondering, I most certainly did dance with him again, later, when he had returned during the "Mama Mia!" medley.
John, I'm only dancing.
(smile)

2 comments:

faustina said...

So... it turns out the man I danced with was in the film "A Toast To Our Youth", shown during the Savannah Film Festival. The three young men involved in the making of the film were quite pleased that I asked about Crazy Dave, as the man calls himself. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for him the next time I'm around Bobbie's Diner.
Small world, ain't it?

faustina said...

Just for posterity's sake, here's more info on that short movie from 2014.
Taylor MacDonald was the SCAD student who wrote and directed the piece.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3897228/?ref_=nm_knf_c_4

The 13-minute movie was listed as a road trip film, featuring a group of young adults.
https://scaddistrict.com/student-competition-screens-shorts-block-a/

A shortened version became the Coca-Cola commercial it was originally intended to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHdfqWIa2F4

Pretty cool!