Sunday, October 5, 2014

puns with 13-year-old boys


For the first thirty minutes of this movie, I was truly wondering why I was sitting there.
I seemed to not have a clue why this movie had been made.
Trust me, I had been warned.
At the Feast of Saint Francis party on Friday, John had told me about it. "The Trip to Italy", he said, was good for the cinematography, but the restaurant scenes, with the quips back and forth between the two guys, get a bit stale very quickly.
So, I had an idea of what I was in for this afternoon.
The two actors most certainly spent much of their screen time in mimicry, with nothing that passed for original thoughts ever being uttered.
Then, I got it.

This is the scene that drove the point home.
The two are sitting at a patio table on a veranda, brilliant blue water behind them, lovely trees to the side.
The pretty woman who is the concierge at the hotel walks by.
"She's got a lovely gait," one says.
"Probably padlocked," replies the other.

That's when I realized I was watching two thirteen-year-old boys, in middle-aged men's bodies, off on a jolly trip in the Italian countryside to gather information for a book. So, the banter back and forth, the idle and constant chatter, the quoting in character voice - that's all part and parcel of these two reverting back to their teens after sloughing off the responsibilities of their lives.
I rather enjoyed the rest of the movie.
I'll have to thank the bfe.
He's the only 13-year-old boy I know.
(smile)

No comments: