Thursday, July 22, 2010

spots

Just a few days ago, whilst searching for something else, I stumbled upon a very interesting blog of a fellow in Utah. In turn, his writings led me down the rabbit hole, so to speak, to an even more interesting site with contributions from him and his coworkers. What fun! Disney Princesses that kick butt (i.e., as Tarantino would have them do!) had pictures that begged me to comment... so I did.
Then it was onward, deeper into the madness, until I came upon Twilit and this particular post that didn't "get" the attraction to Edward Cullen. I responded that it wasn't the man's appearance that was the attraction, au contraire mon frere. No, the reason women (and girls) were swooning had everything to do with the words emanating from those full, kissable lips, the romance dripping from every utterance of the character. As I said then, and say now, even if I come off as a cougar because of the disparity in our ages, I find myself attracted to the CHARACTER, not the actor. And, as the CHARACTER is a couple of centuries old, youthful appearance aside, then, in truth, I am more like a kitten than a cougar.
I had always thought it would be cool to be a cat, grace in every smallest motion. That is, until I actually owned a cat and found it to be every bit as much of a klutz as myself. The beast persisted in trying to leap onto shelving, knocking off gizmos and breaking more delicate items. So much for the stereotype!
I do find myself looking more like some of my favorite cats of the wild: tigers and leopards. Their coloration is beautiful! Stripes of varying width or spots of all sizes, arising in stark contrast to the tawny coat below... I always thought it would be nice if people could have such great color schemes, with each person having their own special mixture. There would be no more differentiation of races, and THAT would certainly be a refreshing change. Can you imagine a society void of racial strife? Nor can I, but I can continue to hope for the best in the future.
Meanwhile, I have become more and more like a variegated beast as the years have passed. I have always, since my birth, been a spotted animal, with my moles and freckles. And in the past couple of decades, some of those moles have changed and had to be removed, leaving different spots in their stead. Various bouts under a surgeon's knife have given me small stripes in several places on my body and right foot.
Giving the matter more thought, I realize: I have been the mythical spotted and striped being all my life! As well as the moles and freckles I have had my whole life, I've also had tan lines, too! Well, in that case, I cannot be regarded as just one color, can I? I think not! The next form which asks which race I belong to, I'm going to respond "other" and write in... leppard.

No comments: