Monday, September 19, 2011

keep on truckin', baby


After the jazz film, I decided to take a little drive. You see, my odometer had been creeping up for the past few days, edging toward 100,000. I had been watching, doing a little math in my head for distances I knew and trying to estimate when that numerical threshold would be passed. Well, when I left the film downtown, my first thought was on dinner and getting some, as it was already 10 pm. Then, as I'm driving along, an image registered in my mind: the mileage on my 2001 car was going to be turning in another fifteen minutes or so, and I did NOT want it to be finalized in the morning traffic tomorrow. NO.
I decided I wanted to mark the occasion by cruising out toward the beach. I doubted that I would reach the Sugar Shack, but that would be my goal! So, there I am, cruisin' in the dark, listening to the radio and singin' along, keeping one eye on the road and the other on my dashboard. Thank God the traffic was light!
I had wanted to be able to pull over and take a picture of the odometer reading as the 9's became 0's, but it wasn't to be. A taxi began chasing me as I cruised, forcing me to pay full attention to the task at hand - driving! - and distracting me from my mission. I had hoped to make it to the beginning of the pass lane, near Fort Pulaski, before all of my 0's shifted, but, as the evidence bears out, I did not. Still, I had a nice drive and have this little tale to mark the passage of my vehicle officially into its old age. Good enough for me!

No comments: