Saturday, February 25, 2012

Goth Girl Blog Day, english version

For those who do not speak French, here is the translation:

Well, today was Goth Girl Blog Day again and I was trapped at the Georgia Science Bowl for almost all of it. Did I tell you the bff of my mother is a total science nerd? Like, total. She was overjoyed, getting to read questions of chemistry, math, biology, physics, and energy for unending hours to the teenagers like me. Well, when I say "like me", I mean, you know, the young ones. The questions of math were almost interesting, very dark and twisted and a lot of squares and cubes and roots. What I would not be is feeble and on a team of science knowledge - only if I could be the secret squirrel. I heard someone say that and it seemed so mysterious and alter-state.
Why do I write this blog in French? Well, allow me to tell you the remainder of the hell that I was in. She was anxious to lead me to every one of the films for the Francophone Film Festival. Every single one. There were five of them. Five. Not all today, my special day, when I am encouraged to express myself in my own terms. Ever since Thursday she has taken me to these films. "To widen the areas of my life that are narrow". Whether or not I want anything widened. I like my narrow life. I know what to foresee at any moment because I do not allow change.
SHE is all about change. You would think that by the time a person got to be as old as she is they would have decided what they liked and would be resistant to change. You would think that by the time a person got to be more than half a century that they would know to keep their oddity to themselves and to not inflict it on others. I would think that.
Still, the time wasn't a complete loss. The films all had a darkness to them that drew me in, not that I would ever tell her. "L'affaire Farewell" was set in Russia, with so much of that stark setting that I almost swooned. Almost. Crisp whites and blacks all over the screen, and the main character dies. Nicely tragic. That was on Thursday.
Friday was forbidden coupling, mostly between men. "Le Refuge" opened with a guy dying of a heroin overdose and his girlfriend coming out of a coma to find him dead and her pregnant with a drug-addicted fetus - so she has to stay on drugs until the baby is born. The dead guy's brother was gay and I had to watch him making out with another guy. But the highpoint for me was the melancholy song he sang. Overall, totally strange and very deeply black, which is why it appealed to me.
The second one that night was "La Belle Personne". The main character's mother had died, so the girl had transferred to another school where her cousin went. She found all the boys there after her body, but she was totally not ready for that. I can so relate. Then she finds her cousin is gay and that she is in love with her Italian teacher and the boy in love with her kills himself. All I can say is the story of star-crossed Romeo and Juliet pales by comparison.
After being in the company of scientific people all day - from 8:30 this morning until 3:30 this afternoon - I had much trepidation about tonight. Would the Film Festival be able to sustain its black tone? Especially as I knew the first film, "L'illusionniste" was an animated tale of a magician. How juvenile, n'est-ce pas?
I was incorrect. (This was a term I heard over and over at the Science Bowl and now it is firmly in my head. Alas.) The magician was an aging man who spends his money on some girl who isn't his girlfriend and spends his time with other starving artists. Dark, dire, dreadful - perfect for my special day, after all.
The night has ended with "Un Prophete". Lots of people dying in this prison film and even a gruesome ghost that haunts its murderer. The ghost even smoked cigarettes and the smoke would wisp out of the holes in his neck where he had bled to death. Awesome, though I did manage to conceal my interest, I think.
Now I've written my blog in French so my tormentor cannot read it. If she wants to know what it says, she will need to get it translated. Ah, sweet is my revenge and a fitting way to close my day.

No comments: