Friday, October 17, 2014

i'm walkin', yes, indeed



Tonight marked the fourth time that I've participated in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's "Light The Night" walk.
As part of the support group from Armstrong State University, representing the College of Science and Technology, I was team captain of the "Cheering Scientists Toward a Cure" bunch.
I originated the team name, with some help from Cynthia Graves, in 2011, our first year of participation as a group.
Here's the team page and my page.
Even though the event is over in Savannah, donations are always welcomed for the cause!

Here I am with my dear friend, Marilyn O'Mallon. She and I have known each other a LONG time.
She was a student of mine, once upon a time, earning her Bachelor's degree in Nursing.
Now, she has a doctorate and is a faculty member in the College of Health Professions. Here's her team's page for the walk.

She had asked me to be a team captain last year and I had accepted.
After all, I had been part of the Chemistry & Physics Department for almost two decades.
Getting folks there to support the cause should be fairly easy, right?

Silly me!

At least
I had
the good sense
to create
my own
T-shirt
in honor of
the event!




By the week of the Walk this year, I knew I would not earn a lighted balloon to carry, the LLS' commemorative T-shirt to wear, or the title "Champion for Cure". All I needed for that title was a mere hundred dollars to be donated to my page.
I did try to earn the funds.
I sent emails to the professors in each department of my college, to alert them to the team and to request support, either by joining the team or providing funds. I challenged them to give up the cost of just one cup of coffee, one fast food meal, one 6" sub.
I graced bulletin boards in the Science Center with posters of the event. (Just like the one above!)
Two students from CST joined the team.
No one, except me, donated any money.
That's right.
No contributions from Engineering.
No contributions from Biology.
No contributions from Computer Science & Information Technology.
No contributions from Psychology.
No contributions from Mathematics.
No contributions (except mine) from Chemistry & Physics.

Yeah, that last one was disappointing, but hardly surprising.
Still, I had hoped for at least some token support.

I had even appealed to my family and friends, in person, via emails, and by use of facebook requests.
No takers.
Rather, no givers.
(smile)

That's okay.
There's always next year.

1 comment:

Piper Medcalf said...

Dear LLS Volunteer,

Last year, LLS surpassed a major milestone: we have now funded more than $1 Billion of research! And with your help, our research funding has touched the discovery of nearly every therapy currently used to treat blood cancers. You own this progress! You have helped to make it happen!

As April 12-18 is National Volunteer Week, I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank you for your past support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Like all nonprofits, LLS relies on volunteers, our unsung heroes, to help in its quest to find cures and ensure access to treatment for all blood cancer patients.

From assisting with fundraising efforts, to running family support groups, to serving on our local boards and in all the many ways our volunteers give their time and energy to LLS - each of you plays a key role in helping patients, families and caregivers who are dealing with blood cancers.

Thank you from me, and from all of us at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Georgia Chapter. We are deeply grateful for your dedication, compassion and enthusiasm in all that you do to help us improve the quality of life for the patients and families we serve as we move forward to our vision of a world without blood cancers.

Thank you,
Piper signature_edited


Piper Medcalf
Executive Director

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health organization dedicated to funding blood cancer research, education and patient services. LLS's mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. See how your donations are invested wisely.
National Office
1311 Mamaroneck Avenue | White Plains, NY 10605
914.949.5213 | www.LLS.org