Thursday, October 9, 2014

just one look and i fell so hard, oh ohhh


Today, I've had my own little film festival. Three movies at the local multiplexes: one foreign, one musical, and one drama.
Let's just say this day has run the gamut of my emotional range and I am wiped out.

It started early this afternoon. Oh, but first, let me give a little introduction before I launch into my "today".

Early in September, I had found that Bollywood films were coming to Savannah! Well, close enough here for me! I'd gone to see "Raja Natwarlal" at the Royal in Pooler, having missed it on its short run here in town. What great fun! Imagine "The Sting" as a musical, then add lots of jingly-jangly costumes and a healthy dollop of humor - I loved it!!! It was the kind of movie that I would have gladly seen twice, given the opportunity.
Ever since, I've kept my eye (the left one, my "good" eye) on the cinema schedules of the Royal there and the Wynnsong here in town.
Finally my vigilance was rewarded! "Bang Bang!" would have its final screening in town today, before its weeklong run in Pooler.

So, that was my first order of business today. Go get some fresh Bollywood and maybe have leftovers next week! And, oh, am I glad I did! There I was, at 1:00 PM sharp, sitting in the cinema, watching "Bang Bang!" And getting totally hot and bothered. Totally. Lots of action, a plot involving spies and a case of mistaken identity during an internet-arranged blind date, lots of singing, lots of dancing! Lots of Hrithnik Roshan. Oh, my! I found myself on the edge of my seat, trying to get as close to him as I could.
Raawwwrrrr!
Three hours later, I found myself heading straight home to relieve some sexual tension. Straight home. No radio, taking the parkway as much as possible, concentrating only on the mission at hand. Seriously.
What a relief it was, too! It's been a while since I was that ...that ...you know what I mean! A woman has needs, especially after watching that man move and listening to that man talk and sing... oh, my, Y E S!!! And you know what the attraction was? He was built like a real man. Solid shoulders, solid haunches, great hair, incredible eyes... the combination was irresistible to me.
I will, most assuredly, go see this again next week.
Oh, yes, I will.
This definitely rates a trip out to Pooler.

So.. where was I? Oh, yes, talking about the emotional rollercoaster of my film festival today.
Well, that was the giddy high point.
Afterward, I took a little break before heading back southside. I had tried to get my friend Lauri to come with me, as I know she has a soft spot for World War II films, but she had other plans. Actually, I think she backed off when I said it was a musical.
Perhaps she was expecting it would be too lightweight if the players were breaking out in song? Not quite. Tim Rice's "From Here To Eternity: The Musical" was certainly full of pathos and realism. Anyone who thinks all musicals, Broadway or off, are simply farsical fun need to take another look, especially at opera. This work has a lot of serious pieces, more so than songs of mirth, as can be seen in this trailer. Robert Lonsdale and Ryan Sampson were especially good in this theatrical piece. If you ever get the chance, please do watch it.
I was glad I did, but saddened a little by it. My Great-Uncle Sam Grantham was over in Pearl Harbor on that auspicious day in 1941, a day that came to life again in this play-turned-film. I cannot even imagine what impact that had upon him as a young man. He died of colon cancer when I was a teen; I don't recall him ever talking about those days as a sailor in Hawaii. However, this musical brought home to me how great a shock it must have been to go from watching hula girls one day to trying to save your life the next morning.
Well, that was very sobering.

One last movie to finish out the day, I thought. Let's make it a new one, fresh from the West Coast! And in the very same southside cinema as the musical, too. More Regal points for me!
"The Judge" promised Robert Downey, Jr., in a serious role, as opposed to playing Marvel's Iron Man. (Please note: I love the Marvel films, I do! But I wanted to see Downey stretch a little, too.)
No one warned me that this was a father-son film in which the father was dying of cancer. That last little part was left out of the previews.
It certainly did allow for some stretching of acting skills for both him and Robert Duvall. Both were well-equipped for the challenge and did a stellar job. That made sure I would be in tears at the end.
As if I wouldn't have been reminded of my own father's death from cancer, just five years ago.

All in all, one heck of a day.
I'll have to do this again sometime.
It's good for me to stretch, too!

No comments: