Tuesday, February 9, 2010

letter to a friend


Dear Sam,
What a day this has been! As you may very well know, I had thought to contact the National Transplant Assistance Fund a couple of months back to alert them to your demise. After all, those monies weren't going to be of use to you any more, so I was hoping someone else could make use of them. I suppose YOU are the one responsible for that thought in my head? You know you are! Anyway, I had left a detailed message on the website, and I think I had also called. As I said, it's been a while and I'm the girl who seems to ALWAYS have something goin' on.
Jump to today. My cell goes off while I'm busy talking to Smitty about work stuff, so I just ignore it and let it go to voicemail. I could tell from the ringtone - What's This? What's This by Jack Skellington, himself - that it was someone I didn't know, just ringing me up. After Smitty left, I went ahead and listened to the message... and it was NTAF, calling to thank me for letting them know and to tell me that your fund would be used for grants for other patients. I took down the number and waited for a while, trying to decide whether or not to call back. I finally decided that I should, just in case they needed to speak to me in person.
The woman in Patient Services, Judy, was just as sweet as she could be and was genuinely thankful that I had let them know about your passing. I just lost it after that, trying to control my sobbing and the catch in my voice, not being very successful at the attempt. Kind of like now, as I write this. You know how I am. Anywho, she proceeded to explain the usual course of action with accounts such as yours. When someone is fundraising for a needed transplant, once they reach a certain goal, NTAF adds some grant money. Depending on the goal attained, the first grant is $500 and the second is $1000. Given the monies raised on your behalf, that will supply several grants, all of which will be memorial grants in your name. how great is that, kid? You really ARE Superman, helping several others get new lives from your generous spirit.
And I miss you so much.

No comments: