Tuesday, May 4, 2010

confusion

I am so confused. I have thought it was Thursday ALL DAY LONG.
It all started last night. Philo Cafe, the philosophy group I have attended most Wednesday nights for the past three years, has changed things up on me. After meeting at the same locale, same night, same time, last week they met on a different day, different time, different location. OMG! Still, even though I knew of the change, it only glancingly affected me. They met on a Monday, when I was at work, therefore I did not attend. It wasn't until last week Wednesday that the change had its effect. My habit of joining them at a local restaurant after the meeting (which generally coincided with my departure from the school) was rendered pointless, as the group had met two evenings earlier.
So here we are at this week. The meeting was on Monday, at the usual time and usual site. Okay! Different day, but same people, so all was good... or so I thought. The evening ran long and I stayed up to my usual late time.
However, I had to get up early for a doctor appointment. And this morning was when the sense of disorientation wrapped its foggy arms all around me. Between the lack of sleep and the change to my Monday schedule, I truly didn't KNOW it was Tuesday. My head kept telling me "Thursday! Yeah, it's Thursday! This week is almost over!" Wrong, but my body believed the lie, because... habits take time to change. For the past three years, meeting with the Philo folks has been synonymous with mid-week event. Now i have to try to find SOMETHING to get me back on track. After all, tomorrow IS Wednesday, when I am scheduled to administer a final exam to some of my students. I'm pretty danged sure they would like me to show up! But I'll only be there if I can convince myself that it's actually Wednesday, not Friday. Oh, bother! (as Winnie the Pooh would say)

No comments: