Friday, January 28, 2011

trapped in kelly's closet!

Wow! Thanks to Jim Reed and his glorious Psychotronic Film Society's Film Festival, I have enjoyed a new musical!!! Seriously, I adore musicals and R. Kelly's "Trapped In The Closet", which I had not even HEARD OF until this week, is fabulous! Originally released in two parts, the first twelve chapters in 2005, followed in 2007 by another ten chapters, the film festival brought the combined version to the big screen at Muse Arts Warehouse tonight.
Sure, it was campy, but no more so than any soap opera on television now or in the past. I suspect R. Kelly is a BIG soap opera addict, much like my bird and Chris Rock's dad and who knows how many straight men. That's right, I said it: STRAIGHT MEN. Hell, I'm talking straight BLACK men. Who knew? And R. Kelly positively revels in it, with trite dialogue, a narrator who tells us way too much trivial stuff ("and now she's wiping her nose"), and characters in and out of bed in a dizzying series of affairs. Hilarious!! Smart, too, demanding that you pay attention or run the risk of not knowing who's zoomin' who... and THAT would be a shame!
Mind you, I'm terribly keen on "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog", another modern musical. I am so very keen on that musical that I purchased three - yes! three!!! - copies when it first emerged on dvd. You see, it was released on the world wide web, one episode at a time, keeping its fans glued to their computers in anticipation of the finale!!! Well, maybe not quite so dramatic, but pretty darn close. So, I can now easily watch it whenever, and I gave a copy to one of my nephews for Christmas two years ago and he LOVED it, and I have one more which will be bestowed to another nephew for his birthday. Oh, yes!

No comments: