Sunday, July 24, 2011

time, time, time is on my side


Yes, it is! I've been cleaning house for several years now, with the help of eBay and craigslist. I've discovered there are plenty of folks worldwide willing to take possession of things I no longer want or need. Some things get snapped up the first time proffered. Others languish for a few months, dropping off the list only to be reposted again and again.
Why the disparity? Why doesn't everything put forth get readily grabbed up by another? Well, it's all a matter of timing. I post an item I no longer need. Someone looks for an item they want. The trick is having the two events coincide. And that, dear, is QUITE the trick.
In many regards, selling online is akin to fishing. You drop your line in the deep blue, trolling a tasty-looking morsel through the cool water, and you wait. Elsewhere in the sunlit sea, a fish rides the currents in search of a seafood dinner. If you are patient, the fish might eventually swim nigh and spot your offering. If you are patient, YOU are awarded the seafood dinner. Yum!
So, I try to be patient. Some items I post try this patience mightily, making me despair that I will not find a new home for them. Then... surprise! Someone in Oregon or the Netherlands or even Australia has eagerly accepted them! That, to me, is part of the fun - being able to travel vicariously to other parts of this lovely Earth. Very nice.

No comments: