Saturday, July 2, 2011

fortune cookie says...

"You're not afraid of storms, for you're learning to sail your ship."
Seriously. That was the message received with lunch today.
I was dining with my middle brother on this beautiful, blue-sky, hot summer day. I had chosen this restaurant because it's one of my favorites and we happened to be right there, as we had first gone to the drivers license office. Asian Buffet always has a wide assortment of sushi rolls and nigiri sushi, as well as some dim sum and other goodies, and more traditional fare, too.
He was enjoying the cheesy mussels - he had seven! - and I was getting my fill of several different types of sushi rolls. I tried twice to let him taste, but he couldn't get past the taste of the algae, so that was that.
We had a good lunch together, getting caught up with happenings in each other's lives, eating good food, taking our time. After all, it was a fine Saturday of a holiday weekend and we had no agenda at hand. Very nice lunch and good conversation. Then my fortune came and it read like it was meant JUST for me.
Mind, when the check came with the two fortune cookies on the tray, I had touched the cookie closest to me to move it so I could read the total on the bill. Having confirmed the total was correct, I had placed the cookie back on the tray. I then waited for him to select which cookie he wanted and, when he had not chosen for several minutes, I went ahead and picked up the cookie I had returned to the tray.
That cookie was clearly meant for me. Am I not learning to sail my own ship? Yes, I may be foundering from time to time, but 'tis my own ship and mine alone. If it runs aground occasionally, so be it. I'll make the most of the delay as I wait for a high tide to lift me up and away again. Then I'll be catching the breeze in my sails and searching for that next bright star to steer her by.
Lovely image, that. How did the fortune cookie know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this story.... sometimes the fortune cookie hits it perfectly... and is just what you need to hear..
Love ya girl...S