Sunday, December 11, 2011

december blues

I think I may begin shaking off these December blues now. This month was always the property of Mama, as it contained both her birthday AND her favorite holiday. Well, I've been in a funk since Thanksgiving, which was my stepdad's favorite holiday. Yesterday, Mama would have been 74 and I was pretty much useless all day long.
Last night, though, I went to dinner with a new friend and she and I had a wonderful time listening to a talented string-playing friend while dining downtown. Then we headed over to the American Legion for Christmas Karaoke - GREAT fun!! Two more girlfriends joined us, with one of them singing Three Dog Night's "Joy To The World" and the other getting behind the microphone for the first time EVER! Strut, you Stray Cat! She was good, too! We even all got up and did the "Chicken Dance" when everyone else did. I'm tellin' ya, you really should have been there!
Today, to continue the positive note, in the early afternoon I saw a film which was John Turturro's love letter to Naples, Italy. It's a toe-tapping, theatrical, musical paean to the beauty of those living on the Mediterranean coast and in the shadow of Mount Vesuvius. I am seriously considering owning the soundtrack!
Afterward, I came home to prepare for the Christmas party at the church. As I had worn my sparkly red shirt last night, I donned a glistening white top and added a red-beaded necklace and I was set! Me and my red rice arrived in fine time at Asbury Memorial, allowing me to visit with folks I don't get to spend enough time with these days. (Note to self: change that!) We all ate as much as we could stand, then a bit more, talking and laughing. After Santa and Mrs. Claus had come and gone, I did the same, realizing that I could make the 8 PM showing of "Passione" if I hustled... so I did!
To sweeten the deal, several of my friends were at this later showing of the film. Nice! And, as a bonus, one of the backers of the film was a new Italian retaurant and the owner had generously supplied fresh canoli for ALL! What a sweet treat! The film, this second time, was even better. Maybe good times are better when shared...

No comments: