Thursday, March 15, 2012

up, up, up we go!

Tuesday and Wednesday were wonderful! All was well again, after a false start on my "stay-cation".
On Tuesday, I went to my ex-bird's for lunch. He has purchased a new nest, here in town, thanks to the Dream Maker program. He now has a NEW two-story, 3-bedroom home in a revitalized neighborhood, a home which has twice the square footage of my 60+ years old, 3-bedroom home. He didn't have to have a downpayment, he paid no closing costs, and the city gave him a $60,000 grant toward the cost of the house, so he only had to finance the balance. I've been spreading the news to anyone who would listen, including some of my nieces and nephews who are now married and in their mid to late twenties.
He had promised a barbecue chicken dinner, home cooked; instead, we dined on beef brisket from the local place around the corner from his new home. Pretty good sauce! Then he had me work for my meal! No, not really... maybe, though! We had no sooner finished eating than he had a phone call: the movers were on their way to deliver his beds for the two upper rooms and needed directions. I should have gone ahead and left while I had the chance! No, just kidding! I ended up volunteering my services to help him assemble the beds, as well as his new coffee table and two end tables for the living room. It was rather nice to do something constructive and see an end product materialize right in front of me!
With that inspiration, I headed to the bank to take care of some paperwork LONG overdue. How long, you ask? Well... since August of 2008. What??? Yeah, I know, pretty slack on my part, but, as I explained to the young man who handled the matter with me, I was a bit overwhelmed with changes at the time and this was the one thing that could be dealt with later. And so it was. And now it's DONE! My trust now has its own identification and is funded, so I can truly rest assured that all will be taken care of as I wish in the future. Whew!
I then bopped over and had my passport photo taken for my upcoming trip to Italy. Woohoo!!! By this time, it was too late to mail off the renewal, but I did so on Wednesday morning. Whew, another important task DONE! Then off to see some old friends and have lunch at one of my favorite places, Hibachi Grill. Love all those veggies, cooked on that hot griddle!
A trip to Hinesville was next on my agenda. My debit card had a close encounter with a magnet and needed to be replaced, plus that particular account also needed to find its way to my trust. Yes, I know that could have been handled online - but it was a beautiful day and I needed to feel the highway breeze on my face. And so I did. And so that was all DONE!
My taxes were all done, too. I had handled that late last week and received word that both the federal and state had been accepted by the great ethernet beings. Tuesday night I paid the federal and crossed that off my list. Next week, I'll mail the state a check for my balance due. What, no refunds?? Hey, at least I know I didn't "loan" the government money at a 0% interest rate, which is certainly what you've done if you do "receive" a refund.
So, I return from the military town and make a pit stop at the school to drop off two sets of graded tests and three sets of graded post-lab reports. Yeah!!! My request for dinner company is greeted with enthusiasm by my coppery friend and then it's over to meet her at a favorite restaurant, coupon in hand. Ah, yummy Italian food and good company at the end of a successful day!
Now, I await the arrival of a niece...

No comments: