Thursday, May 3, 2012

therapy

Sometimes, it's good to get out and about and try something new. Today, I danced with an Aztec, ran my hands all over a butterfly, and was treated to a free cold drink when I found my credit card was not, alas, in my pocket.
All of it was therapy for my body, my mind, and my spirit.
I almost missed every bit of it, too.
I had worked all morning on updating my gradebooks, even posting the grades online for my students. I had graded post-lab reports, odious things that they are. I had a rough draft written of the final exams for next week and was waiting on 2 PM, a time promised to a student who needed an early exam. I was feeling rather wrung out from too much time in my cold office.
It was just past noon so I headed into the sunshine, toward the proposed site of an early Cinco de Mayo festivity. I had already missed the first dance, but I caught the next one. Then there was a slight break and I took advantage of the time to go grab a drink.
On my way, I was distracted by a stunningly beautiful dog. Yes, indeed, a dog in the building, along with others, there to provide an opportunity for relaxation during this stressful week. She was mostly snow white, but with tiny dark splashes, like freckles. Her cheeks, ears, and part of her throat were encased in mottled butterly wings of dark brown, black, and gray, with the butterly body represented by a midpoint mottled circle between strips of the snow white fur. Her brown eyes blended into the wings, maintaining the imagery. She graciously allowed me to caress her ears and head and back for several moments, allowing me to relax and breathe again. Then another in need of her warmth and giving spirit arrived, freeing me from her spell.
I resumed my mission for liquid nourishment and found the lemonade I enjoyed. I also grabbed a package of pretzels, then headed for the register. The cashier rang up the tab and, when I reached into my pocket, I found my school ID, my driver's license, and... my blood donor card. No credit card, though. The woman behind me announced "Let this be my treat as a random act of kindness." W o w. Just that fast, my spirit again lifted. I thanked her and put the pretzels back on the shelf, as the beverage was all I had originally wanted. After thanking her again, I walked back toward the dance area; my therapy dog had left the building and it was time for me to do the same.
The dancer was giving us a background talk on his upcoming homage to the sunlight. He encouraged crowd participation, asking for us to hold the ancient words in our mouths and offer them anew to the air. The dance was graceful and colorful and rather serene. Afterward, the dancer (John from aztecatlanta.com) invited us to come dance with him, in front of the Student Union, and I could swear he was talking directly to ME. Why not!!! I had been tapping my bare feet to the music already and this WAS a celebration and I was feeling rather rejuvenated ... so I came on up to join him. And as soon as I did, several young folks joined in! And so we all danced, kicking our feet, holding hands, shouting!!!
Afterward, I thanked the dancer and he admitted that he had, deliberately, been looking at me when he issued the invitaion to dance. He had done so because he could tell I wanted to dance and he thought it very likely that I would come up, opening the door for others to join in. Nice compliment for me!
Therapy dance, therapy dog, therapy drink. Therapy.

No comments: