Tuesday, June 16, 2015

no wild hogs for me, thanks


Yesterday afternoon, I was taking a break from the insane summer heat, watching movies on the small screen. I don't even recall what the preceding movie was, but I had enjoyed it.
Then, "Wild Hogs" came on.
I know what you're thinking. "What a great buddy movie! John Travolta! William H. Macy! Tim Allen! Martin Lawrence! Ray Liotta! Marisa Tomei! Motorcycle adventure!"
True, all true.
When it came to the silver screen in late February of 2007, I had been eagerly anticipating it.
So, when Jeff had to go into the hospital for another two stents in his heart, I needed some distraction. My friend Deborah had been right there to help me through it, as had been Jeff's coworker, Debbie. I had known her for a couple of years, ever since she became Jeff's colleague. He and I had even been to a Christmas party at the house of her and her husband, just two months earlier.
To thank the two women for their hugs and help, I had invited both of them for a "girls' afternoon out". They had enthusiastically agreed and off we went!
The theatre was packed, so we weren't able to sit in the same row. We were, however, able to sit vertically aligned, in three rows, such that we could still share popcorn and camaraderie. And laughs! What a great time we all had!
How vivid that memory still is, 7 1/2 years later.
I had no idea that Debbie had been screwing my husband for two months by that time.
That knowledge did not come for another four months.
And now, every time that particular movie comes on, or I hear about it, that memory of the three of us women in the cinema springs to mind.
And the betrayal by her and my husband.
Maybe, one day, I'll be able to enjoy the movie without the memory.
Here's hoping.
Perhaps if I were to watch it in someone's arms, making a new memory, that would do the trick.
Maybe, one day.

1 comment:

The Universe said...

Ironically, Faustina, had it not been for every disappointment, setback, and detour in the road of your life, you wouldn't have come so far.

Nice strategy.

Love, love -
The Universe