Monday, June 8, 2015

165000 for a NC adventure


Well, would
you look
at that?
Here I am,
with my BFF's
darling,
dancing daughter
following along
behind me,
and my odometer
clicks into
this reading.
165000

Where am I?
Or, rather,
where are we?
Somewhere
between the
soon-to-be-sold
house in
Hiram, GA,

and the two-bedroom
condo at
Fairway Forest,
Sapphire, NC.


Truth to tell, the BFF was the one who was to accompany me on this trip.
I had booked the stay in the mountains specifically for her benefit.
She is the mountain lover.
I am the beach girl.
However, work precludes her ability to come with me. As her ex has been so remiss in his duties as a father (has not paid child support, has not paid the mortgage, to provide shelter and sustenance for their daughter), my BFF has had to take on extra work to try to at least keep food on the table and the lights and AC working.
That meant I was going to be traveling alone, to the mountains.
Drats.
Last night, at the Mexican restaurant, she had asked if I would take Morgan instead. Morgan was between graduation from high school and being a freshman at Georgia State University.
I knew what granting that request meant.
The expenses would be on me.
Sigh.
I responded that I had already told the girl-child that she could come up there. Notice the semantics I used. Those words meant she would have a place to stay, but be responsible for her meals.
Last night, I said she could come with me.
Different meaning entirely.
The only stipulation I made was that Morgan would have to drive herself to North Carolina.
I would not be going back to Hiram, as that would add four hours, easily, to my trip home. (As it was, I had scheduled this northern adventure to end roughly 48 hours before my southern adventure would begin. Whatever was I thinking???)
The stipulation was agreed to by all.

And there we were today, on the road between Hiram and Sapphire.

You know, I try to live as Sam Johnson said: don't give up, don't look back, and always give forward. It's the best feeling in the world.
He was absolutely correct.
Life is short.
We don't always get what we want, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy what we have.
I'm looking forward to getting to know Morgan better.
And I'm going to enjoy the mountains, too.
I've never been to Sapphire, but I do like the name.
(smile)
I seriously doubt I will ever come up here again.
As I said, I'm a beach girl.
So, I will make it a point to have a good time!
Right attitude, right place, right time.
(smile)

No comments: