Saturday, September 20, 2014

that's what SHE said


I actually started this post over a month ago.
I'm not sure why I haven't yet finished it, but perhaps I was waiting on a last quote from a film with a great message. Tonight, I saw that film.
So, here we go, now!
Some of these were garnered from minor characters in the films, so don't blame a faulty memory if some of the lines don't ring a bell. I've tried to only repeat those which resonated with me.
Let's begin with the lines uttered, then try to match them to the correct ladies, shall we?

1) "I'll look if you will."

2) "You'd have to be very brave to love me."

3) "Everyone says seize the moment, but it's the moments that seize us."

4) "You don't stink of anything I don't like and you kind of remind me of an old boyfriend."

5) "It's a good plan... if it was 1985."

6) "I dreamed that I was being pursued by a tall Chinese man."

7) "Can I borrow a piece of your chicken?"

And the ladies are:

A) Nicole in "Boyhood"

B) Sophie in "Magic In The Moonlight"

C) Clementine in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

D) Chantry in "What If"

E) Vanda in "Venus in Fur"

F) Bertha in "Sin City: A Dame To Kill For"

G) Luna in "The Expendables 3"

*

*

*

That first line was uttered by leading lady Chantry. She and Wallace had just disrobed, prior to going skinnydipping. (No, sadly, we did not get to see 'Harry Potter's' package.) That scene led to the end of their platonic friendship, though they did try to pretend otherwise for much of the rest of the movie.
The next line was tossed out there by Vanda. Not only was she the leading lady, she was the only other person in the film. Great Polanksi film, based on the play, based on the 1870 book by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch. S-M, right? Almost 150 years ago. Yeah, Shakespeare may have been correct.
I'm so glad the peace Guy and I saw the play a year ago.
Back to the quotes!
Line 3 spilled from the lips of a minor character. A very minor character. Nicole doesn't appear until the last few minutes of the 165-minute film. She summarizes the entire theme with that one line. So, now you know. She and the new-to-college boy are sharing a doobie, out in the desert, awaiting the sunset, with each of their roommates. Kudos for the efforts of all involved over the twelve-year filming process, but ... sheesh, that was a long movie to sit through!
(Yeah, I did ramble on a bit, didn't I? But I wanted you to appreciate the feel of the film.)
The diner waitress was responsible for the fourth line. What diner waitress, you ask? Bertha, played by the one-and-only Lady Gaga. She is only onscreen for a few memorable minutes, just long enough to console a broken Johnny and stake him for his next poker game. Quite memorable few minutes it is, a beautiful bit of noir as we skirt the fringes of a city that soils everything it touches.
The fifth line came from another character with a tiny role, but large presence. Luna may not speak more than fifteen words in the entire film, but I wanted to include her here. Why? Well, of all the females noted in this post, she is the only one who was a woman in a man's world. Usually, you don't see women as mercenaries; I don't know how she got this role, but I applaud her for not letting them doll her up.
And, as I served eight years in the Navy, as a Cryptologic Technician-Maintenance, I had my share of being a woman in a man's world. You haven't truly experienced that sensation until you have someone ask you why you're "taking the job away from a man" - and the questioner is a woman. Ouch.
Dreams can be funny outtakes on life, can't they? Sophie certainly saw them as such. Then again, perhaps she made up this declaration to try to draw out the alternate identity of Stanley, aka Wei Ling Soo, the magician. This Woody Allen film is the fun side of period pieces, with quite lovely fashions featured throughout.
The last quote is from darling Clementine. She is seated beside Joel, ouside and on the top step of a beachfront house, when she utters the line and, justthatfast, plucks the drumstick from his plate and starts munching on it.
"Borrow"? Like she was going to give it back to him?
Funny line, but true to life. Folks say silly stuff like this all the time.
I find it nice that this dear psychological romance threw it in there. It makes this bit of science fiction a little more approachable by those not so attuned.
Okay, that's all for now.
Maybe I'll collect quotes from just the men next time!

1 comment:

faustina said...

LOL!
I thought I'd post this one on fb to see how folks might like it.
Hoping for a response or two!

"Looking back at posts from my blogs, I thought this one would do quite nicely! It's a game, see, with quotes to match to the characters in several movies. Who knows, you may even get inspired to see some of these films!"