Friday, September 26, 2014

goosebumps



I was a little early.
I had thought the shop might open at 9 AM, but the posted time stated 10:00 AM.
The young woman came to the door anyway, recognizing me from yesterday.
"I was wondering if you might have more of those bracelets with the elephants," I asked.
"By the way, it was 'jellybean jar', not 'jellybean tree'. I don't know why I said tree yesterday."
She assured me that she remembered me, and she would look to see if she had any of the bracelets in storage.
Wonder of wonders, she had five!!!!!
Fabulous!!!!
I would take all five so I could give one to each of my great-nieces!!!!!
Caitlyn, Carissa, Ally, Brooklynn, and the twins due in November, Alyssa and Leila.
I decided I would pick up a few other items I had noticed before, to help support the store.
That pretty seashell necklace, for starters. Oh, and that blue and green one, too!
Maybe these other ocean-colored necklaces would be nice, maybe to wear together...
Okay, time to hit the road!
Back to the counter, goodies in my hands, placing them down in groups for her to count.
Five jellybean jar bracelets, six ocean-hued necklaces, one large seashell necklace set, and one sparkly "diamond" bracelet.
And I'm telling her that it's been thirteen years since Mama died and how much I'm looking forward to sharing that jellybean joke with my great-nieces. She's half-listening, keeping up with her counting and ringing up the items.
"That makes thirteen items," she said, "right?"
I caught her eyes.
"Thirteen." was all I said.
She got goosebumps, literally.
And I very nearly stood there and cried.
I could feel your presence in the store.
She did, too.
As she said, you were there, Mama, looking over the situation, approving, reassuring.
Consoling.
I did cry when I reached the car.
Just sat there and sobbed for a few minutes.
I'd be willing to bet she called her mother. That's certainly what I would have done.
That's what I wish I could do now.
Just to hear your voice, Mama.
I am so glad to have found these bracelets to share you with those who will never have the opportunity to know you.
And to remind my nieces of your lovely sense of humor.

No comments: