Friday, April 24, 2009

18 years


18 years. That's the time it takes to raise a child from infancy and send them out on their own into the big blue yonder. That's how long Sam Johnson was in my life. We met in 1991, with him being part, if not the ringleader, of the Underground Savannah posse that included my soon-to-be husband, Jeff. They, and Bobby Ruggiero and Andy Pena, had a friendship that was a brotherhood. It was tight. Even when they disagreed with something one of them did or said, it just didn't matter. They were a team, with an irreverent television show, the radio world, the Savannah nightlife and culture. I could tell these guys were in it for the duration, no one was getting out alive, I tell ya!

And so, now one of them has gotten out of this band of brothers from other mothers. Sam's big ol' heart, after enduring five years of dialysis, just gave out on him on Sunday. He'd had a great weekend, including zany fortune cookie messages. That's right, plural. His original fortune cookie told him: A nice cake is waiting for you. Of course, he led into the reading of it the usual way, slowly releasing the message, looking it over and announcing "Boom goes the dynamite!" "Yeah, right, what does it really say?" And with a puzzled look, he says "A nice cake is waiting for you." I laughed my self silly, even reading it myself and then laughing more. Whoever heard of such a thing??? He was so taken aback by the seemingly non-fortune that he requested a new cookie... and was graciously granted one after he told his tale. This second cookie told him "You have infinite wisdom and power." "Hey, man, that makes you a superhero!" That made him feel right as rain. I dropped him off at Steed's, then went home for the night.

Saturday, after almost seven hours in Beaufort with my terminally-ill daddy and his family, I came back to town and caught a nap before heading off to a retirement party for a colleague. Then, off I went to Steed's for some karaoke. Sam had called to say he took a cab there, but I had told him I would make sure he got home so he could hold on to his money. I had gone there that night intending to sing, but I just never did. I even had a list of songs in my car that I had planned to do.. but I didn't. I just absorbed the show. There was a birthday party going on for a husband of the Cumulus crowd, and they were a lively bunch. There were several of the regular Saturday night singers. Even Bob and his mom, also known to Sam as "Mom", were there for a rare visit from Midway. And Sam was on top of his game, handling all with his usual mix of aplomb and bravado. I totally enjoyed myself, even though I was just part of the audience this time around. I even snapped a fairly decent photograph (on my cellphone) of Sam with Bob and Mom when they were leaving. Apropos of absolutely nothing, I took the picture. I remember thinking, who knows when they'll all see each other again?

Finally, the end of the shift has arrived. Last call for alcohol, for songs, for hanging out at Steed's. Gina is about to fall over, her feet hurt so badly. She reminds Sam she had set aside a plate for him from the cookout earlier. She even saved him some cake. Pineapple upside-down cake. One of his favorites, one he had been thinking about lately. Nice cake. Using his phone, I took a shot of him with his "Nice cake", us grinning like fools about the in-joke. I even said to him, on the ride to his place in Garden City, that he should play those numbers on the back of that fortune. After all, how many fortune cookie messages are found to be true?? Yeah, that would be cool. So, at 2:30am, I drop him off at his place, with our "Love ya, girl" "Love you too, Sam" hanging in the air. I stay a moment, making sure he gets inside safely before I take my tired self home. And that was the last I saw of him. He tried at some point to forward the "Nice cake" picture from his cell to mine, but it didn't take. I figured I would have him resend it the next time we talked.

And now, he's to be buried on Saturday. 42 years old, gone already. So many future plans, all on hold now. He was very much looking forward to a family reunion in Orlando in December. He was even going to do the odious task of going through the big box of family photos his sister had and putting them in albums for the reunion. He was going to Dragon*Con again with myself and the Delongs. He was going to go through his blogs for the past five years and publish a book of the best of them, at the urging of his college professor, Dr. H. He was going to finish his paralegal degree from South University. He was going to do all these time-consuming projects and more... but time stopped for him.

I still don't believe he's really gone. I guess I'll have to accept it at Steed's when his hand isn't on the microphone, his voice isn't ringing through the speakers, his presence isn't all over the room.

6 comments:

DJ Girl said...

Hi Faustina, I found your comment about Sam while looking on his blog to seek comfort because it is hard trying to put on my radio face today when I feel such a void without Sam. So many beautiful funny memories of Sam. I smile when I think of him playing with my kids Natalie and Alan Samuel. I found a card and note he gave me after I lost my mom. Sam was so sweet. I feel blessed to have known him almost 20 years. We had that bond of 2 kids who grew up in Savannah with those dreams of being a "disc Jockey" and by golly we did it in a not often kind business. I wish we could have all gotten up and said something at the funeral but it would have lasted all weekend. If they do publish the book of Sam's blogs, and I hope they do, we could donate proceeds to help others fund kidney transplants. Let me know if they publish it. I want a copy. Take care! Love, Marguerite

HouseT said...

Well worded as always. I didn't realize that you had seen him so recently, but it's good that all of your memories of that time were pleasant ones.

I too hope that the collecting of Sam's blogs is taken up by someone and does in fact end up published. It most certainly was on my list of "things to be purchased in the future" and I'd just as soon keep it there.

faustina said...

You'll be happy to know there are plans to have Sam's blog posted. His niece is compiling them as we speak, though she certainly has a long road ahead of her. Sam was a prolific blogger and was online for five years. Still, she has taken on the task and I am thankful. I'll let you know what I find out about the progress as it goes along.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing about Sam's last night. I was quite upset with his sudden passing. I did not know of his death for several weeks, as I have only been busy with work. As it came so suddenly, and there wasn't much information, I feared the worst happened. I am really glad that his last night was a fun night on the town. Although I never met Sam, I've read his blog almost from day one. He and I exchanged emails fairly often. I really feel like I've lost my best friend.

Let me know when his writings are available. I would love a copy.

Dave 'Spyrunner' Hewitt

I can be reached at david dot hewitt at foremost dot com
or
spyrunner at gmail dot com

Jerry Wiley said...

8 Sept 2014 4:30 PM

The story behind the laughing [in the photo of Sam with me and Bob) is that when we put our arms aroundguy each other Bob patted or grabbed Sam's butt, and Sam said "Bob, quit grabbing my ass" , and I said, "What makes you think that was Bob". Thus the laughter...was such a memorable night, Sam sang, "It's a wonderful world" for me, but all evening he kept talking about a birthday cake, and kept Bob and me in stitches. What an honor it was to know him and be part of his family.

faustina said...

Found on fb entry on my page, April 21, 2010:

So often we look at a calendar of days as merely a symbol of the passage of time. We 4get why we are on this earth... We 4get that we were put on earth to learn something. If everything were perfect in life, we would never learn anything new. We wouldn't be able to elevate our spirits through the events that happen to us." Lynn Andrews R.I.P. Sam Johnson