Friday, August 7, 2009

tamales

I finally got around to turning on the tv about 10:30 tonight (hey! I was busy out and about with real people!) and watched the tail end of "Psych," one of my favorite shows for many reasons. But that would be another entry, another time. After the show ended, I thought I would see if a movie might be next up. Then, on my way to finding a movie of interest, I noticed "Good Eats" was just starting and tuned in. And there Mr. Brown was, talking about tamales. Tamales, of all things. So, I started this post, then returned to watch the show. My Daddy would have wanted it that way, you see. Tamales were his "thing." And watching a show that seamlessly combines science with everyday life is most definitely MY "thing."
So, I learned all about making tamales, in an episode titled, in his typical tongue-in-cheek style, "Tamale Never Dies." I kid you not. (My Daddy would have loved it, wishing he had been the one that came up with the name.)
The first thing I learned was the origin of the dish and of the word itself, in a South American jungle setting. I kid you not. (I truly LOVE this show. It's the ONLY one I watch on the Food Network.) "Tamale" is based on an Aztec word for "wrapped food", constructed to be portable meals for hunters and warriors on the go, made by their loving mates. The wrapper, the filling, the masa, the fabrication, and the cooking. very interesting, surprisingly easy, but one of those operations to do when you have some time on your hands, much like the making a Polish dish which uses cabbage leaves to make a Dutch oven FULL of rolled meat and rice packages. In other words, plan to spend a few hours on this dish.
So, it certainly isn't something I would normally even consider making. After all, I have a reputation as the queen of the 30-minutes-or-less meal and I am justifiably proud of that title. Not only that, but I tend to cook all in one pot, lessening the quantity of dishes to be cleaned after said meal has been enjoyed. And yet, I do find myself doing that very thing - considering the making of tamales. Still fairly theoretical, but gaining form. Why? Well, partly because tamales were such a cherished food for my father. He's been on my mind a lot these past few weeks and I see this food as a potential link between us, something to make me feel he isn't so far away. If he were still on this planet, I would have called to get his ideas on the subject and invited him to share in the repast once the project was complete.
Instead, I think I shall invite my singing bird to be my dinner guest. You see, Alton Brown also talked about the Tamale Trail in the Mississippi Delta. According to Mr. Brown, migrant Mexican workers brought their hot tamales with them to the area, where the slaves in that hot, swampy land really took to them. The Mississippi Delta, the same exact homeland of my singing bird. I think perhaps Daddy would have been right pleased about that. He and Harry could have had many a discourse on the merits of tamales, with future searches for eateries of worth which offered that culinary delicacy. Delicacy indeed! Tamales are a real man's food, made with meat and lard - yes, I said lard and I meant lard, just go ask Mr. Brown why - eaten with the hands, not forks or spoons, not even necessarily on a plate.
Yeah, I think a foray into the tamale world is on my agenda.

No comments: