Thursday, November 12, 2009

safety

I am so very thankful that my beach is not subject to the ravages of nature. This lovely blue and green planet with its swirling white streaks can be devastating at times. One of the beaches I visited this summer at Nags Head was basically a Brazil wax bit of sand in July. I can only imagine what will be left there now. The walkway from the condo will lead to...where? Open water? A few rocks? Will there even be that wooden walkway?
Then there's Virginia Beach, a fun place from a few years back. What will become of it after the 10-foot surges and the 8 inches of rain and the 60-mph winds? How much of that sugary sand will remain to be graced by beach towels and colorful chairs? How about the shops and little eateries nearby? Will they weather the storm or be wiped clean from their foundations?
I do realize that nothing lasts forever. Even the beach I visit here will exist only until the ether on which it rests disintegrates out from under it. Still, I hope that day will be very far in the future, beyond the time that I walk this plane. I want to feel free to enjoy the rolling surf here for a long time. Maybe I should come visit more often, to listen to the waves shushing over the fine grains below, to feel the warmth of the golden orb on my skin, to smell the salt tang. I wish I could be here every day, but I cannot yet. One day...

No comments: