Thursday, April 26, 2012

fortune cookie

"Be good to a coworker."
Truly? THAT is the message in my fortune cookie???
Okay, let's give it a thought and see if the cookie has a clue. It was a Wednesday evening and I'd been able to go to my favorite place - you know which one! - and had grabbed a dessert with a message on my way out the door.
I had arrived to another engagement when I read the message - too dark in the car to even try to read it at a stoplight - and I didn't have time to really ponder it. Nor did I need time. Just about the same instant that I thought "what does it mean, if anything?" the response popped in. Go check on the cat owner.
After I returned home, I did just that, to an extent. I logged into fb and went to the page of the cat owner. Hmmm, nothing more about the cat, nothing more about anything, no entries for several days. Okay, that doesn't prove anything one way or the other, times are very hectic at this point in a semester. I made a mental note to check in, physically, the next day to see how things were faring. Maybe the cookie DID know something, maybe not. It's JUST a cookie.
Still, I've had enough experience with THESE dessert items to try to keep an open mind.
And the cookie was right. The cat owner's elderly cat had died. I heard the story of the cat's last few days and the continuing story of the remaining cats and the loss felt by the owner. I heard tales of the cat's personality, his little quirks and habits. I heard that THIS moment belonged to that ONE cat, not to the others.
"Be good to a coworker."
Thanks. I'll try to pay better attention so I don't need messages from a cookie to go see a friend.

No comments: