Saturday, September 12, 2015

bereft of Sand Gnats


"Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man bereft of ostrich."
Sheldon spoke those words to Penny on "The Big Bang Theory". She had brought leftover cheesecake to cheer him up after some of his imaginary stuff had been stolen online.
I totally understand his loss.
The Savannah Sand Gnats have been stolen away, hijacked to Columbia, South Carolina, after twenty years, by a gingerbread man chasing capital.
At least the name stays here.
But not the ball club.
Tonight was the very last game.
An amazing summer of incredible games led to an assured berth in the South Atlantic League Championship Play-Offs. Last night's second game had them tied with the Asheville Tourists, forcing a third game.
Tonight, after a valiant effort, the Sand Gnats have fielded their last ball, swung their last bat, thrown their last pitch in this seaport town.
I sat in my car and cried for thirty minutes after the game.
More tears will soon fall.
I am so going to miss being part of their cheering crowd.
I am so going to miss my boys of summer.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Passionately, personally pointedly said. Well done.