Wednesday, September 9, 2026

thanks, dane, for the MiMFF!!!

I know, I know: what in the fresh hell is a MiMFF? And do you have to be in Denmark to be able to see one?
Hahahaha!
Silly one-ken-obi.
I've been over at Tony and Laura's since Thursday, remember?
As well as having some quality time with the dog, I've had access to thousands of movies via their new TV system, HEAT-VOD.
I don't know what HEAT stands for, but that other acronym is most definitely "Videos On Demand" and it is fully loaded!
No restriction to a single streamer like Netflix this time!
So, when I was glancing through with Tony on Wednesday, as he showed me how to access HEAT, I noticed several movies I'd wanted to see, but they either never came to AMC or left before I could see them with my A*List.
Second chances rock!!!
Hence, I have dubbed this the Movies I Missed Film Festival.
Cute, right?
In total, there were twenty movies that I pulled up to watch.
Of those, there were several that were foreign, but didn't have subtitles.
Drats.
But that still gave me oodles of movies that were new to me!!!
Ready or not, here they are!
*****
"I Want Your Sex" (2026)
Olivia Wilde flick I wanted to see, but it left before I could -
rather funny! Soft porn look at B&D with Cooper Hoffman as the pawn.
Johnny Knoxville and Margaret Cho are the detectives called in when
the artist boss goes missing.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32332915/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_i%20want%20your%20se

-------------------------------
"The Isle Of Dogs" (2018)
YES!!! When I saw this in the listings, I just had to see again!
The last great Wes Anderson film before he went derivative of himself.
I loved it so much it appears multiple times in a game I wrote.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5104604/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_isle%20of%20dogs

----------------------------------------
"Much Ado About Love" (2026)
Ashley Williams, Niall Matter, Lindura
Most def a Hallmark romcom, so I loved it!
She's back in town to direct "The Taming Of The Shrew" and brought
Hollywood actress for lead role - he's back in town to be in
the play until he finds out she's directing - they have a 
history, from their roles in "Romeo and Juliet" many years ago.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27860696/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_much%20ado%20about%20love

---------------------------------
"Yellow Mirror" (2026)
Was actually a "Simpsons" episode, but thought it was a movie.
"The Way We Weren't" explores what if Homer was back in high school, but
still remebered being married w/ children and became a famous cartoonist
with his sketches and stories of them - very sweet -
"If I Have No Tablet But I Must Stream" explores Maggie's world when
her MyPad takes over her life - fun song "99 little dinosaurs",
like "99 bottles of beer"!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt43141030/?ref_=fn_t_2

---------------------------------  
"Mutiny" (2026)
Jason Statham doing his thing, getting revenge against those who killed
his boss on 1) his dad's birthday, 2) 5th anniv of him getting that job
by saving his boss - wrong day, wrong time, guys! That means a harpoon
to the head for them!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32338669/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_7_nm_1_in_0_q_mutin

-----------------------------------
"Srinivasa Mangauram" (2026)
Vasu Baba and Manga are sweeties ...
NOPE! no subtitles! drats. - Tollywood -

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt37537340/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_5_tt_3_nm_5_in_0_q_srinavasa

---------------------------------
"Zombie For Sale" (2019)
the Parks family take in a creature from the pharma company -
NOPE! no subtitles! drats. - Korean -

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9765144/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_zombie%20for%20

--------------------------------
"Motor City" (2025)
Alan Ritchson, Shailene Woodley, Ben Foster
WOW! starts in 1977 Detroit, then goes back to the start, 25 years
earlier, when the guy rescues the girl from the gangster -
then, just before the guy can marry the girl, the gangster sets him
up for a big drug haul and the guy goes to prison - the gangster
then reunites with the girl and they get married and all is well
for years until she finds out he set up the guy - gangster then 
hooks her back on heroin, but the guy finds out and breaks out of
prison to rescue her -
incredible! done with no dialogue, just using music from the time
- Jack White has cameo as a piano player -

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2012616/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_motor%20city

---------------------------------------------
"Voicemails For Isabelle" (2026)
Zoey Deutch, Nick Robinson, Harry Shum, Jr., Leah McKendrick
(note: written and directed by Leah McKendrick!!!) -
opens in 2010 with the two sisters, Jill and Izzy, super close, w/
Izzy having cystic fibrosis - years pass, w I living vicariously through
J, calling themselves "birds" after Robyn, dancing every time they hear
"Dancing On My Own" - 2019, I in Austin TX needs lung transplant, J in 
baking school in San Francisco, can't make it back in time for last
moment w his sister - Time passes, she calls Izzy's phone number... and is
able to leave a message... so that continues - like Christina does w/
Mama's number... enter Wes, a realitor whose new work phone has that number,
so now he is getting the voicemails - intrigued by Jill, he goes to meet
her and falls in love - but how to tell her about the phone?
wept several times with this one - beautiful movie about loss adj.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10375624/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_voicemail

-------------------------------------
"NASCAR vs. Navy: The San Diego Mini Movie" (2026)
prelude to the "Race The Base" set up for America 250 celebration -
6 racers and 6 pilots set challenges to decide if the course is to be
set up on the landing field - < 30 mins, really fun short!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt43351237/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_5_nm_3_in_0_q_nascar%20vs

-----------------------------------------
"Pickleball" (2026)
Kevin P. Farley, Jeff Hamm, Michelle Wendt... surnames with more famous kin -
When the owner of a community center drops dead during a game, it's up to
'Father Joseph' (Kevin P. Farley) to try to get his two sons motivated to
save it. But 'Miles' (Willie Mellina) is a fallen tennis pro more into chasing
skirts than balls, and 'Earl' (Justin Sterner) prefers the video game world
to a live game of sports. A pickleball tournament could save the center, if
only the sons will take it seriously!
Not great, but the second half is much better than the first.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt30788209/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_pickleball

---------------------------------------
Husbands In Action (2026)
NOPE! no subtitles! drats. - Korean -

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt36876775/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_Husbands%20In%20

--------------------------------
Finnegan's Foursome (2024)
Edward Burns, Brian d'Arcy James (great voice!), Brian Muller, Erica Hernandez
- written and directed by Edward Burns!
When Grandpa dies at their home in Sount Carolina, it's up to the two sons
and their first-borns to follow his wishes. That means taking his ashes back
to Ireland, to be scattered in four of his favorite places, with two of those
being his favorite holes on his favorite gold courses.
Absolutely beautifully shot!
Some good singing by Brian d-Arcy James, too, in a pub scene!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23039114/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_1_nm_0_in_0_q_Finnegan%27s%20Foursome

------------------------------------
Finding Emily (2026) - English
Boy (Spike Fearn) meets girl in nightclub and falls in love, but only gets
10 of the 11 digits needed for her phone number! He only knows her first name
and where she attends college. Enter psychology student 'Emily' (Angourie 
Rice), in need of a topic to keep her student visa from lapsing. She decides
to help him find the 'Emily' he seeks among the 318 there - easy peasy!
By the way, the actor - Spike Fearn - is a pretty good singer!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32499466/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_finding%20e

---------------------------------------
Best Served Cold: A Hannah Svenson Mystery (2026)
Hallmark movie!!!
'Hannah' (Allison Sweeney) and her boyfriend-lawyer 'Chad' (Victor Webster) are
back when assistant attorney 'Lucas' (David Attar) goes missing in the midst
of a case involving counterfeit gold coins. The problem gets worse when the
counterfeiterturns up dead and it looks like he's been poisoned!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt41435250/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_best%20served

---------------------------------
Once Upon A Time In A Cinema (2026) - Irish! 
Told in real time, during the 5-reel "Breathless" (1983) being shown to the 
crowd in the cinema!!! That means it's fast, so keep up!!!
It's a one-screen movie house, now run by two brothers, 'Earl' (Colin Morgan)
and 'Gerald' (Calam Lynch), left to them by the dad they hardly knew.
Now in need of repairs, with someone on the staff stealing funds, they have
to decide on a busy Friday night whether to sell it or keep it in this age
where it seems VCRs are everywhere.
Really excellent!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29008864/?ref_=fn_t_1

--------------------------------
Mayday (2026)
Ryan Reynolds, Kenneth Branagh
Take a self-professed former KGB agent, 'Nikolai' (Kenneth Branagh), with a
love of "Top Gun", and let him find a naval pilot, 'Troy' (Ryan Reynolds),
shot down during a US 'black ops' mission, and just watch as their initial
distrust turns into a mutual quest to not die when other Russians descend
on their cabin. Some real truths in this one, though I had one issue: the
director just let Reynolds run loose with quips. A few scattered here and
there would have been fine, but they're just dumped in.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28014327/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_7_nm_1_in_0_q_mayday

-----------------------------
Must Auk (2024)  - Finnish!
(also known as "The Black Hole")
three short scifi films!
NOPE! no subtitles! drats.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt33343241/?ref_=fn_t_5

---------------------------------
Once Upon A Time In The Middle East (2026) -Chinese!
Original title: Huan ying lai Long can guan
with subtitles!!!
It's a bit long, but it's a compelling look at the life led by a Chinese
national ('Xu Fu') who goes to Iraq in 2002 to work in a Chinese restaurant 
owned by an Iraqi ('Zaid'). His plan is to stay for two years to earn enough 
money to recover the losses from a fire at his own restaurant. 'Ma Junsheng'
serves as both his translator and co-manager at this Iraqi restaurant.
His timing is bad. Within 6 months of arrival, the US is bombing the city
and all hell is busting loose... but the owner makes him a deal for much
more money so he stays... and the US troops that come love the food and will pay
anything for the liquor he can get... until things go wrong and he ends up
in a prison for 18 months, with no contact to his family.
Very good look at a story we didn't know.
Very timely, too, with this being the 25th anniversary of the story that we
do know on our soil.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt34386754/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_once%20upon%20a%20time%20in%20the%20mid

--------------------------------------
The Last Whale Singer (2025)
Yes, it's animated, but not from any company familiar to Americans.
It's a 'let's save the oceans' film for younger viewers, to introduce them
to issues like bleached coral, whales killed by boat propellers, plastic
waste in the ocean, and climate change (in the form of a melting iceberg 
releasing a radioactive creature formed by nuclear testing).
The lighter story is a young, orphaned, whale suddenly having to 'find his
song' in order to restore health to the ocean.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13518550/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_5_nm_3_in_0_q_the%20last%20whale%20singer
 
--------------------------------------------
So, there it is!
I thought about including pics of the movie posters, but decided that would make this post even more time-consuming to write. 
Pretty impressive list, isn't it?
I could easily have had more, if I'd hung around during the day, but I wanted to keep Dane on his regular schedule, as much as possible.
He really is a sweet old dog!
(smile!)

No comments: