Friday, September 4, 2026

friday hither and yon!

Racking up savings as I went, too!
I started with a free movie at the St. Joseph/Candler Smart Senior center at 1 PM, with a room full other members laughing at "The Legend Of Bagger Vance" as we enjoyed the bag of popcorn and soda that Elizabeth gave each of us.
I truly had forgotten how feel-good this movie was!
While I was there, I went ahead and registered for the Halloween Party the center is having on October 30.
Just $8 and I used my colon study card to pay for it!
(smile!)
Then I was off to CVS to get more Vitamin D3 and Lactaid pills.
The first was on sale as a BOGO - that saved me $12.99 right there!
The other was BOGO 1/2 off - so that saved me another $5.80.
Ah, but I wasn't done saving yet!
I also had a coupon for "$5 off of a $20 purchase", plus a $10 ExtraBucks Reward.
All total, I saved $33.89, for a whopping 68% discount!!!
I do believe that's the best I've ever done!
(smile!)
Next, I took advantage of a $1 Movie Night reward from Comcast.
Last week's had gone toward a movie in Dolly Parton's memory.
This one was for Tim Curry.
I know all the theatre folk are all gaga about "The Rocky Horror Show", but I credit Richard O'Brien for that.
O'Brien is the one who wrote the book and the songs, the one who created those characters, the one who talked Curry into taking the role. 
Interestingly, O'Brien credits David Bowie, glam rock, and 'Ziggy Stardust' for the inspiration for the goth-rock musical.
I can totally see that! 
But that musical wasn't the how I was introduced to his acting ability.
Surprisingly, "Annie" was the intro for me, either, as that musical didn't become dear to Mama until it came out on video and she could share it with her first granddaughter, Christina Ann.
See, Mama would have grown up with that character in her life.
I'm sure having Carol Burnett and Yul Brynner in the film endeared it to my mother even more.
However, it was "Clue" that landed the talented Tim Curry on my radar.
That came out while I was going to Armstrong State College in 1985.
Chock a block with stars I knew - Madeleine Kahn, Lesley Ann Warren, Christopher Lloyd, Martin Mull, Michael McKean, Eileen Brennan - of course I loved it!
Curry was right in the heart of it as the butler, 'Wadsworth', and the scenes at the end, when he's racing about putting the pieces of the mystery together, were delightfully madcap!
With his good looks, he reminds me of Errol Flynn, and I would have loved to have seen him in some of those swashbuckling roles!
Alas, the closest Tim Curry ever got to being a sword-wielder was as a pirate in "Muppet Treasure Island", though that wasn't until 1996.  
He spent most of his career as a voice in a variety of animated features (like "The Wild Thornberrys" and "The Rugrats") or video games.
I'm so glad I had a "Clue" to his real talent!
(smile!
Next, I popped in on Dane for a quick visit before I hit Jalapenos.
He'd be getting dinner a little late, so time for a treat to tide him over!
Honestly, after I gave him that crunchy collagen bone, I don't think he even noticed that I'd gone back out!
(smile!)
I'd called Smitty first, to make sure we were still having the Smiths & Kamerons Friday Fiesta, as we were missing some folks.
Tony and Laura are in Missouri and Robin is in Montana.
But the brother still here assured me were still dining together!
I had him pose for this photo to show off his eyes.
Last month, he had cataract surgery on his left eye, which is now in the best condition it's been in since the retina repair.
Just look how blue and clear that iris is!!! 
The right eye had its cataract surgery just two days ago, but the blue is back in that one, too.
The doctor's assistant even commented on how blue his eyes are!!!
Very nice!!!
I ate shrimp ceviche, as it's been a while since I treated myself to that.
And Mark had driven in right behind me and noticed my flapping trunk.
After we all had our goodbye hugs, he came over to look at the trunk lid to see what might be a solution, so maybe he'll fix it for me!
That would be wonderful!!!
It's been ten years since I had a trunk that I could securely close, instead of using duct tape to try to keep it down. 
(smile!
My next stop tonight was for gasoline, as Murphy's was rewarding me with fifteen cents off per gallon for this Labor Day weekend.
Christina had told me some time ago that Murphy's was the gas station for Walmart, so I headed over to the one on Montgomery Cross Road.
There, the attendant politely told me that Murphy's was -not- affiliated with Walmart and never had been.
Well, fine, I'll have to let my first niece know she was wrong.
(smile!)
So I drove out to the sole Murphy's in town, out by Savannah Mall.
Sure, I only saved $1.35, but I needed to get gas anyway.
Better to have saved something than nothing!
And now, I'm back at Tony and Laura's and Dane has been fed.
Now to find another movie that I haven't yet seen!
(smile!)

No comments: