Sunday, January 19, 2014

since you've been gone, away


This morning, I was grateful when my ringing phone awakened me from a bad dream.
No, let's rephrase that.
It wasn't a bad dream - it was an incredibly sad dream.
I had been dragged back into the darkness, into the depths, into the deep, deep sadness of the world.
By my mind.
By my mind.
Heartbreaking, sobbing sadness, that I couldn't shake.
I wrote the dream down, needing to get the words out of my mind, set them free, release their hold.
Andy asked me if I knew where he could locate... some odd thing. I told him, "if it's anywhere, it's in Sam's locker." We then went to Sam Johnson's locker (full-length type, with a couple of shelves in it) and I opened it and we began pulling out items from the messy stacks on the middle shelf (the area where normally you would have hooks to hang stuff). At some point, I lost track of Andy - I was caught up by the smell of Sam still in the items. I pulled out a gymbag stuffed full and, holding it against my chest, placed my nose near it, inhaling deeply - and realized how much I still missed him. I wandered off, still clutching the gymbag to me, unaware of the locker or anything else. - Then I was home, still clutching the bag close so I could breathe in his scent. I knew it wasn't - good? healthy? sane? - so I called Hai, to ask him to come over. I knew he would understand. He knew Sam, too.
I cried as I wrote, as I reread the words. I just couldn't seem to stop...
Then, my first niece called.
Not texted.
Called.
And I answered, knowing she would hear the tears in my voice, trying to disguise them, failing. She knows me, knew I would tell her when I was able, knew to wait for it.
In the meantime, would I like to go to brunch with her and the baby? She was just coming from the church. Would I like to ride with them or meet them at the Atlanta Bread Company?
I want to ride with you, I said.
I didn't think I would leave the house on my own.
So she came by and I threw on clothes and escaped the dream.
We had a long visit together, talking and talking and talking. At one point, I tried to tell her about the dream and almost started bawling again. She understood and just let me be for a few minutes. Then the baby stirred and life slipped back on track.


Almost two and a half hours later, I was home again.
Home.

1 comment:

faustina said...

That's Zoe that Christina is holding.
We had hoped she would be able to adopt her...
but, at the last minute, the baby's maternal aunt stepped in and took her.
We were all heartbroken about it.
How nice that I still have this photo of my first niece and this child.