Tuesday, August 11, 2015

moving along, at last



Dear Tony,

Life is truly getting better. The damage assessor came on Saturday morning. She had called, as I had asked, before coming so I could be there. Rather than totaling out the car (which is only estimated to be worth about $900), she figured up what it would cost for repairs. I ended up with a check for almost $1500, instead of $600. (There's a $250 deductible for uninsured motorist, which hit-and-run accidents fall under.) What a generous break for me!

I received the police report on Thursday, delivered personally by the officer who wrote it. What a relief! That started things going in the right direction, finally. My insurance company immediately arranged for the assessor to visit, as well as setting up a free rental car. Monday, I picked up the rental car, so I had wheels to go to the grocery store. I haven't driven it much - it has too many blind spots for me. At least I know the 2015 Hyundai Elantra is not the car for me.

I hope to have my car back tomorrow or at least by Friday. The clutch threw a rod, so a new master cylinder had to be ordered. How much for the repair? Looks like < $400!!! Wow! I'm not worried about the trunk - I'll just rig it to stay closed.

The clutch repair is being done by Dixie Motors, referred by my next-door neighbor. He works with a lot of insurance companies and knows where to go for any kind of repairs.

Hooray! What a relief to not be forced into car shopping!

Now, I think I'll look for a part-time job to go along with teaching. I'm hoping I can work at a used furniture store with some of my Lunch Ladies. Please do say a few extra prayers for me... I'm still stressed, but much better.

with much love

No comments: