Thursday, August 13, 2015

breakin' the law, breakin' the law


Bet you didn't know, as you're cruising around town in your automobile with no particular place to go, that you are most likely driving illegally.
That means you're breaking the law.
I have to admit, that's been heavy on my mind. The Judas Priest song is running in my head right now.
Obviously.
So, just what are these commonly broken laws of driving? Are you guilty of (ab)using your car as the ton of death machine that it is, like the bad person that struck me?
Are you wanting to be a better driver?
I do.
I hope you do.
I would prefer living in a world where folks try to better themselves.
In the interest of all, here are the ten laws I recently read.
Don't let the highway patrol catch you at fault.

1. It's illegal to text in a car, even if the car is stopped.
Yes, sunshine, even if traffic is stopped for a red light, YOU are not supposed to pull out your phone to catch up on your text messages. You should either pull into a parking lot and stop the car, or call the texter back. (However, if you are not yet 18 years old, you cannot legally use a phone FOR ANY REASON behind the wheel of a car.)
I had been guilty of this, but no more.

2. Neither the driver nor any passenger can have an open alcoholic beverage.
Honestly, I cannot imagine why anyone would think that was legal. I know there are plenty of boneheads behind the wheel of a car, but who doesn't know this law?
I cannot tell you how many times I have made my middle brother finish his beer before getting into my car. He always wants to act like it's a major imposition, too, but there is no way I am breaking the law for him and his alcoholism.

3. You cannot legally drive while wearing headphones in both ears.
Most folks think driving barefoot is illegal, but that has never been illegal here in Georgia.
(I know - that surprised me, too.)
However, if you wear headphones, make sure you only cover one ear. Otherwise, how are you going to hear emergency vehicles?
This law is straight-out common sense, y'all, and no one has an excuse to break it.

4. You must move over one lane not just for police cars, but also for assistance vehicles and garbage trucks.
Yes, indeed, called the "Move-Over Law", YOU need to pull over one lane away for blue lights AND amber lights.
If traffic will not allow you to do so, then you should proceed at least ten miles under the speed limit in your lane of travel.
I have made sure to obey this one.
What about you?

5. A bicycle classifies as a vehicle.
If it has wheels and is on the road, it is a vehicle. Period. That means that a cyclist that opts to ride on the sidewalk is doing so illegally. A cyclist that rides through an intersection by using the pedestrian walkway is doing so illegally.
I have several friends that choose to ride their bikes when they go out drinking. If YOU do that, you are guilty of Driving While Intoxicated and you can expect to go to jail.

6. Headlights must be turned on when driving in rain.
Almost all cars on the road have the daytime running lights, so folks think they're covered for this law.
Not so.
YOU need to turn on your headlights in order to have your tail lights illuminated. Running lights only alert drivers coming toward you or those you are following. But what about all of those drivers behind you and to the side?
Just do it, folks, just do it.

7. If the traffic lights are not working at an intersection, all drivers must regard it as a four-way stop.
Yeah, I can't tell you how often this one is broken, especially by those in large vehicles, like SUV's and pick-up trucks and vans.
Next time, YOU should obey the law.
I'll be taking photos of those who don't.
Seriously.

8. It's illegal to have any part of your tag obstructed from view.
I don't really know how to work this one. Ever since the hit-and-run driver slammed into my car and rearranged my trunk, my trunk lid cannot reach the latch. I have a bungee cord arranged to keep the trunk lid down, taking great care to not block much of my tag. But still... I am only too aware that blue lights may one day pull me over. Maybe I should carry a copy of the police report in my car.
That's a good idea, don't you think?

9. It's illegal to use the center lane to merge into traffic.
I bet YOU didn't know that, did you?
Honestly, I did not either.
That center lane is ONLY for turning left. Even then, you are not to enter the center lane until you are 300 feet from where you will turn left.
300 feet = 100 yards, sports fans.
So, if you enter the center lane more than a football field from your turning goal, you are breaking the law.
I'll keep that in mind... please do the same.

10. It is illegal to stay in the left lane if a faster vehicle needs to use it.
I think of this as the "Autobahn rule", but here is how it actually works.
If YOU are driving the speed limit and traveling in the left lane, you can be pulled over if a faster car is unable to use that passing lane.
Now, then, if your are using the lane for passing, you are expected to vacate and return to the right lane after completing your pass. If not, you can be given a ticket for breaking this new "Slowpoke Law".

Alright, consider yourselves educated and warned.

No comments: