Friday, March 13, 2009

first time

A week ago tonight, I stood on a new beach, in the moonlight, under fireworks... being kissed for the first time. Incredibly romantic, especially for a first-time kiss!

This is not to say I was kissed for the first time ever. I'm fifty years old and I've been married twice, so I have certainly been kissed a time or two. Truth to tell, I'm a big fan of kisses, in all their myriad forms. Quick little brushes of the lips before rushing off to work. Butterfly-light kisses on the face, neck, hands. Migraine-crushing pressure point kisses along the eyebrows and on the temple. And let's not forget those "...long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days", as Crash Durham lovingly described.

But, a first kiss is a wondrous thing, a marvel to anticipate and to behold. As Mae West once opined, "A man's kiss is his signature." That bawdy, self-assured 1940's film and radio star, a long-time favorite of mine, could be relied upon to know whereof she spoke. I have certainly found truth in her words. First kisses are like snowflakes, each unique and never to be repeated. Every man puts his own mark on a first kiss, with no two doing it quite the same way. The lip texture and taste, the strength behind the caress of the lips, the duration of that first overture and the quickness of the next. Every man has a unique kiss, one to be taken on its own merits, to be savored and enjoyed, in the moment and later in the memory of that moment.

Oh, yes, first kisses are the ones full of promise, harbingers of the possibilities of future encounters, the delights to come. My singing bird and I shared a first kiss on the beach, in the moonlight, under fireworks... and I smile as I remember.

3 comments:

HouseT said...

I'll take your word for it that a man's kiss is his signature. Not my area of expertise. ;)

But hey, good to hear that you had a nice time. Wouldn't mind running into a "first kiss" somewhere my own self, but that's probably more a long term goal I need to set for myself. Right behind, "Talk to women in public."

faustina said...

Who are you, Raj on "Big Bang Theory"? Women are just people, too. There's way too much "battle of the sexes" nonsense out there, muddying up the waters of love and friendship. You have a first-kiss or two or three, just waiting on you. Or maybe, just waiting for the right woman who'll see past the shyness and make that move...

Unknown said...

WHOA...Really?