Sunday, March 29, 2009

surprise! surprise! surprise!

As Gomer Pyle used to say to Sarge in almost every show, it seemed, and usually to hilarious effect. A few weeks ago, my man in Charleston with the sweet sense of humor asked me if I liked surprises. Oh, yes! So he said he might surprise me with a visit sometime. I thought it would be great fun and told him so... and quietly hoped that he would do so. Today was that day!! Beautiful sunshiny day, blue skies, and just the right mix of warmth and cool breeze. A glorious day to be alive and outdoors!

The morning started with a surprise, too. Bonnie called me to say Daddy wanted to spend the day in Savannah with me (!) and they were in the Expedition and headed my way. He was having a lucid day and wanted to take advantage of it... especially as he did not remember my three-hour visit the day before, when I sat by his bed and I talked about all manner of things as he sometimes held my hand, sometimes responded, nearly always was turned to face me. So today was to be a day to remember! When they arrived, I suggested we drive down to Tybee and enjoy some time on the pavilion. And so we did. And next time I'll know where the handicapped parking is, too, you betcha.

We all had a good time in the sun, Bonnie and I munching good beef hotdogs and corn chips. After about an hour and a bit, we headed back to the car, taking the easier wheelchair ramp for the trip down from the pavilion. You betcha I'll remember that next time, too. We returned to town with the windows down, smelling the salt marsh and talking about music and food, enjoying each other's company. Then they dropped me off at my house and returned to Beaufort, where Michael and Bobbi would be waiting to help Daddy get into the house before they went to a birthday party for one of their son's friends. Nice. What a lovely day for us all to remember.

I spent the afternoon doing yard work. I had considered a movie, but the day was just too beautiful to be indoors, even though it has been weeks since I've been to the cinema. Cutting dead lantana, hauling it to the front yard. After a couple of hours, and a trip on a weed-clothed garden timber, I was done, but I still had so much energy that I decided to take a shower and take a trip to the laundromat. And just as I got to my car, my phone rings.

"Hey, Tina! Where are you?" "Hey! I'm at home." "Well, come on down to the waterfront!" "What?" "Come on down to the waterfront!" Brief silence as I tried to make sure I had heard correctly, then "What waterfront??" "The one in Savannah! I'm down here at East Broad and Bay Street." At which point I squealed like a little girl, apparently, said I'd be right down, went in and changed from my ratty shorts into long pants, and off I went!

We walked up and down River Street, hand in hand, listening to the sax playing, the guitarist, the trumpeter. He introduced me to the dark chocolate pecan clusters at the Savannah Candy Kitchen - and they're even sugar-free! We both have sugar problems, him hyperglycemia (aka diabetes) and me hypoglycemia. So here's something amazingly yummy that we can both enjoy that won't be evil to our metabolism! Nice touch.

We finished the afternoon at Emmet Park, sitting together by the Harbor Light. Just talking, with me leaning on his shoulder. Enjoying this lovely bit of time, together. Then, as dusk was nearing, our enchanted time was done and the real world beckoned.

The man drove the two hours from Charleston for two hours here with me before driving two hours back to Charleston. For two hours here with me. Does that make me feel special? Darn tootin'!!! Wow! I am so very blessed...

No comments: