Thursday, March 11, 2010

death and taxes

Two things you cannot avoid: death and taxes. The latter is, of course, very top-of-mind as April 15th approaches, a grim reaper of one's finances, so to speak. How very nice that we're all getting a little something back in the form of the "Making Work Pay" incentive. Wow, the government is paying me $400 for working and contributing to the national treasury! Woohoo! That bit of smoke and mirrors is to distract from the $3456 paid for federal withholding and the $1805 paid to the Withholding Division at the Georgia Department of Revenue. And let us not forget the monies paid to Social Security and Medicare, neither of which I'll get to partake of for quite some few years yet.
Still, the situation could be a lot worse. I know family and friends who are benefiting from the government's social programs. Several are drawing Social Security, some are on disability or have been, some are drawing unemployment or have been, and quite a few are on the government-run health care programs of Medicare, Medicaid, or PeachCare. Several others I know are working for the city, county, or state government and so I like to think I'm helping pay their way in this world, too. Then there are those working at facilities which receive money from the state or federal government: hospitals, fire departments, universities, schools. Yes, indeed, those are MY tax dollars at work! So, don't be asking for a raise, 'cause I haven't seen such a thing in more than three years!
Then there's death. That topic reared its head tonight whilst enjoying an art show reception at Hospice Savannah this evening. A dear friend and I were enjoying the "Savannah Sightings" display, vibrant works featuring the trees of Savannah: oaks, pines, palms, and driftwood. Some of the pieces were especially beautiful to me and all were affordable. Where else could you find a framed, signed, original work of art for less than $400? The most expensive piece was still a good deal at $800.
So there we were, enjoying each other's company, fine art, and a nice glass of wine on a cool rainy evening. Nice! Then the talk turned more serious and I found myself talking about the approaching Mother's Day, which would mark the tenth one I've observed since Mama's death. Talking about that led on to this Father's Day being the second one without Daddy. Then... I found myself talking about Sam's death and his brother finding him, two days after his heart attack. And she told me about her sister finding her dad, two days after his heart attack. And then we were sharing the heartaches in our lives, the heartaches of knowing loved ones awaiting organ transplants.
Two things you cannot avoid: death and taxes. So many interpret that with respect to their own deaths. But I'm here to tell you, in unequivocal terms, that the "death" in the saying refers to those who leave this planet before you. Those deaths are a reminder that one's time of existence is a finite Quantity which should be filled with as much Quality of life as possible. Enjoy NOW those you hold dear.

No comments: