Wednesday, March 10, 2010

inspiration, deux

A while back, I was at a film festival with some friends. After the film, we were all helping to change the viewing area back into coffee shop seating, moving the couches and tables and two very different types of dining chairs.
So, there we are, moving chairs, and one of the guys says "No, don't put those chairs there, they need to match around the table."
And out of my mouth come the words "Why? The chairs in my dining room are two different colors and I have them alternating around the table in an aromatic configuration. The blue ones represent the single bonds and the green ones are the double bonds. You know, because the green ones have both blue and yellow in the color!"
Honestly, I could scarce believe it myself. I had no idea I was going to say that, no conscious effort on my part. Like everyone there, I was just as surprised when that bit of logic was emitted by my lips.
Perhaps the thought was germinating whilst I was teaching hydrocarbon nomenclature during the preceding days.
Perhaps.
Who knows how the brain draws connections between disparate topics?
But 'twas inspired, was it not?

1 comment:

faustina said...

This remains one of my favorite posts, even all these years - a full decade! - later.
So, what brought that up now?
Well, I was reading about needing a lost weekend -
http://adventureandthesinglegirl.blogspot.com/2017/10/in-need-of-lost-weekend.html -
and that had led me to a post-Philo discussion at Chili's -
http://2015delights4faustina.blogspot.com/2015/09/philosophy-of-ca-caw.html -
and the recent revelations I've learned about the running bear.
I do hope he is learning new things about me, too.