Saturday, August 13, 2011

death and life

Today was my stepdad's last day on Earth. The vessel he left behind will become ashes in the next day or so, then be interred in the plot which holds my mother's ashes and stepsiblings' mother's body. This is how much he loved my mother: he split his side of the plot and agreed to be cremated so she could still be by his side. Even though he is Catholic and, as such, had always intended to have a buried body.
The last few days, we have all spent a lot of time together at the hospital. We have talked of many things, many diverse subjects. Births of children now in their twenties, having children of their own. Weddings in the near future and weddings in the past decade. Favorite movies, favorite ringtones, favorite television shows. Songs we love, songs we hate. Boxers versus briefs versus both simultaneously. Bras and when to wear them and when to shed them.
Along the way, we've regained some of the sense of family we had in the 1980's and 1990's when Mama was alive. She and my stepdad were the heart of the family and we were all expected to enjoy each other's company frequently. For Labor Day, Memorial Day, the Fouth of July, we all descended upon their house for cookouts, bringing spouses, children, side dishes. For Thanksgiving, naught would do but to come to their house for the huge family feast of food and conversation and post-game napping. Christmas Eve, the house was filled with food to nibble and gifts to unwrap and children to be thrilled!
After Mama died in 2001, the family traditions did, too. The bridged family fell into nuclear units (I can just see my stepdad smile and say "I knew you would get some chemistry in there!). Sure, we still all reunited for Christmas Eve, but it was an abbreviated affair. No more of folks coming together all afternoon and mixing and mingling. Now we met at the house at 6 pm, made ouselves some sandwiches and gobbled sweets, quickly opened gifts in a madhouse, then packed up and left.
No more cookouts on the weekends of Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day. We all had our own cookouts and somehow didn't invite the others. We all moved into different and new "family" units with longtime and new friends. Sure, part of that is to be expected as the children grow older, as we ourselves grow older. It's certainly good to have "family" that we have CHOSEN, not been born into. The downside, though, is we have all drifted apart, losing sight of our relationships to each other.
His time in the hospital brought us all to one location for an extended period of time. His few short days led to long discussions and much contact between those he was leaving behind. His death has reunited us as a family.
I know Himself would have been pleased.

28 comments:

Jim said...

The loss of life and the arrival of life bring us together in ways that no other events can. You expressed your feelings beautifully Tina, which did not surprise me at all. Be well, Be strong, Be you.

Beth said...

Sorry to hear of your loss, Tina.

Anonymous said...

15 Aug 2011:

Jenny Post posted in Chatham American Legion Post 36.

Jenny Post 9:28pm Aug 15
To Tina Smith, Susan, George & Jean, I am sorry for your loss. My prayers are with your families at this time.

Anonymous said...

15 Aug 2011:
Tina,

I love you dearly and regret the sorrow you are experiencing. You will always know that you remained loving, supportive, helpful, and encouraging to Frank all through the years and to the end. Forgive omissions in the obituary. I submitted a note of condolence on the site but I don't see that it has been added. I also sent a contribution to American Cancer Society, one of the suggested sites for donations. I am not going to make the drive. I've worked like crazy recently getting teachers ready for school. I am too tired to be a safe driver. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Linda

Anonymous said...

17 Aug 2011:

John Denion commented on your status.
John wrote: "Another of the greatest generation. Glad we got to meet him. Incredible life. RIP"

Anonymous said...

17 Aug 2011:

Christina Grace Gibson commented on your status.
Christina wrote: "Tina, this sounds like you were able to work everything out. It sounds beautiful. So deserving. Let us know more later. Have a great day honoring your beloved father."

Anonymous said...

17 Aug 2011:
Fae Hill Kameron commented on your status.
Fae wrote: "I am sorry for your loss."

Anonymous said...

16 Aug 2011:
Jean Marie Morgan commented on her Wall post.
Jean Marie wrote: "Good to see you too. Yeah I'm really gonna miss him. He was and still is my all time greatest role model. I know you will miss him too. Love you"

Anonymous said...

15 Aug 2011:
Penny Stanford commented on your status.
Penny wrote: "Wow...what a cool name...Ignatius...wish that was my name!"

Anonymous said...

15 Aug 2011:
Tina, you and the rest of the family are in our thoughts and prayers. I've only spoken with him a few times when I visited Aunt Sybil in Savannah years ago, but he seemed like a really nice man. From what I read in his obituary, he was quite a man.
Take care and I'll see you soon.
Love ya,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

15 Aug 2011:
Thanks Tina. I got it from Asbury. Wow what a life! I'm sorry to say I won't be able to attend the service because of work. Frank was a good man and fun as best I can remember. I didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked with him or your Mom. Call if you need.
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
Kathy Schaal commented on your status.
Kathy wrote: "Praying for you and your family."

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
JinHi Soucy Rand commented on your link.
JinHi wrote: "beautifully expressed Tina. i am so so sorry for the losses and so very grateful for your presence. *sending love and thoughts of peace and healing to you and your family."

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
Tina, I am sorry to hear about Frank. My deepest sympathy to you and the Barry family.
Harry

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
John Mattingly commented on your link.
John wrote: "Very sorry for your loss, Tina. Superb thoughts shared with us."

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
I'm so sorry to hear about your Step-Dad. I'm glad you were able to watch something you could enjoy yesterday.

I'm continuing to send those positive thoughts. Thinking of you.

Much love,
Sue Boyd

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
Roy Wood commented on your link.
Roy wrote: "So sorry Tina."

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
Amy D. Jenkins commented on your link.
Amy wrote: "Thinking of you ... We need to hug soon! Love Ya!"

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
Danielle Frazier commented on your link.
Danielle wrote: "Sorry for your loss Tina"

Anonymous said...

14 August 2011:
Sharon Frain Novinger mentioned you in a comment.

Sharon wrote: "Thinking of you Faustina Smith. What a beautifully written piece - feelings that are echoed in so many families, Hugs across the miles :)"

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
Sabitra Brush commented on your status.
Sabitra wrote: "I am very sorry to hear about your loss Tina. Much love to you and your family. You are in our thoughts."

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
Christina Grace Gibson 11:05am Aug 14
Our member Tina Smith lost her 89 year old Step-Father yesterday. Some of you may have known him. His name is Frank Barry and he was a WWII Veteran. Please pray for his children Susan Morgan, George Barry, Jean Hester and his Step-Daughter Tina during this time of sorrow.

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
Sue Beneteau commented on your status.
Sue wrote: "So much Love to You Tina and the family xo. Wish I was there. xo"
Oh Tina my arms are so around You right now so much Love to you and the family there. I am so sorry to hear about your step Dad. I wish I was there with you to help out any way I can.

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
Jim Reed commented on your status.
Jim wrote: "I'm very sorry for your loss, Tina, and hope your family is doing as best as can be expected."

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
Sherry Moore commented on your status.
Sherry wrote: "sending prayers to you and your family, Tina."

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
Wow. Change comes suddenly with older age. It is almost infathomable. I am sorry for your aching heart and for those in your family as well. Taking yourself away into funny movies was a good plan of attack. Movies (like music) can be powerful tools to work on our emotions. I'm glad you stumbled across some good ones. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Penny S.

Anonymous said...

13 Aug 2011:
Frank died today about 4 pm. Almost all of us were at the hospital.
Very sad. I have spent the evening watching movies that I know and love. "Legally Blonde" "13 Going On 30" "Overboard" Movies that came tripping after each other on the same channel, so I didn't even have to think about it, just enjoy.

i thank you God for most this amazing day: for the leaping greenlyspirits of trees and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes - e.e. cummings

Anonymous said...

14 Aug 2011:
I am so sorry for your loss, Tina. I am glad he was surrounded by family when his time came. I can also picture your mom waiting for him, with open arms. I am sure he delivered your hug to her! Continue to enjoy life, just as your mom would want you to. There are days when the memories make you sad, but there are so many more that make you remember and smile. Remember those days more often! Take care of yourself. Love ya, Robin Jenkins