Wednesday, August 10, 2011

well, hell


My stepdad is unconscious. He has been that way since late yesterday afternoon. All because he fell and broke his hip on Friday morning.
In truth, he didn't actually break his hip, but he shattered the head of the femur where it fits into the hip. He had been washing a load of laundry, as he has done many times throughout his 89 years of life. Apparently, he had finished and was taking the clean clothes into the house when he got tripped up and fell in his carport. He finally managed to attract the attention of a neighbor, then spent all day in the emergency room while options were discussed. Finally, a choice was made and he was moved to another hospital to have a partial hip replacement. The plan was to have the surgery Saturday morning, get him up and on the new hip on Sunday, then return him to the initial hospital for two weeks of physical therapy.
Instead, after the surgery he developed a fever three degrees higher than body temperature. The doctors then had to find out where the infection was and determined he had some pneumonia present and had perhaps had it for a while. Throw some antibiotics at it and all would be well. He spent a lot of time sleeping on Saturday, but had good color in his cheeks when I saw him.
On Sunday, when I saw him in the early afternoon, he was fairly chipper. They had, indeed, gotten him up on the new right hip and he had even sat in the chair for a bit before moving back into the bed. The fever was only one degree higher than normal temperature. Progress! We chatted a bit, then he threw me out so he could take a nap.
On Monday, things took a serious turn for the worse. He had been up and walking around and then sat in the chair, same as the day before. This time, however, when it was time to move back into the bed in mid-afternoon, he passed out and scared everybody to death. Good thing he's a man of slight build and the on-duty nurse was a young man who caught him and kept him from breaking any other bones. He was moved into an Intensive Care Unit room for monitoring and tests. A CT scan revealed blood clots in his lungs, so now they would have to determine what new course of action to take.
By the time I saw him late that evening (approaching 9 pm), he was panicked from the oxygen mask covering his face. He reached for my hand as I entered the room and I took it and calmed him while the nurses got his heparin drip going and checked all the tubes going into him. The charge nurse then prepared some ice water to soothe his aching throat (oxygen gas has zero moisture and is quite drying) and she even swapped out his mask for the cannula tubes. Ah, relief! Now he felt so much like Himself that he even joked a bit and flirted with the nurses. Much better! After he was all set for the night and sent me home, I went, feeling much better about the situation than when I had arrived.
Things went straight to hell on Tuesday morning. Because his oxygen levels weren't high enough, the mask was put back on. No one seemed to recall that he was a World War II veteran who had spent two years in his early 20's in a German POW camp and that he was terrified of having his mouth and nose covered. Sigh. When I saw him that morning, he was extremely agitated. Meanwhile, nothing happened while we all waited for the primary vascular surgeon to consult another about the best option. Late that afternoon, they put him under to vacuum his lungs and to place a filter in his femoral artery to block any clots coming from the hip surgery site.
That course of action was apparently not the best for an aged man with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It's Wednesday and he is still unconscious and is lying in the bed, intubated - meaning a tube has been pushed from his nostrils into his lungs to carry oxygen. They are unable to insert a feeding tube because he has a hiatal hernia. This means it is simply a matter of time until his organs begin to fail. Man cannot live on glucose alone.
When I saw him early this afternoon, he looked as pale as a marble statue. I held his hand while I spoke to him and he was completely unresponsive. No hand movement, no eye movement, no movement of any kind. I don't intend to go into that ICU room again. I don't want to remember him that way and I know damn sure he wouldn't want that, either.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

12 Aug 2011:
It is very sad. Hopefully he is not in any pain. He has lived a long life though, with lots of caring family members, so that is a life well lived. I truly understand what you are going through with my mother passing only 6 weeks ago. I am truly sorry for your pain. I hope you can find comfort in knowing he will soon be with your mother, who is waiting for him, with open arms. Your mother was a very special lady and I was truly blessed to have known her. She helped me through some very hard times in my life. Please keep me posted, and if there is anything I can do, please call me. We will be in Jacksonville on Sunday to scatter my mom's ashes at the beach/ocean. Hang in there. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Love ya, Robin Jenkins

faustina said...

12 Aug 2011:
love you, too, Robin. I know all this has made me miss my mother terribly and I keep wanting to tell Frank to give her a hug for me...
I think the beach is a lovely site for ashes. I hope you have a very fulfilling visit there.

Anonymous said...

12 Aug 2011:
Oh Tina I am so sorry xoxo so much Love to You and the rest of the family. My Mum is terminally ill to it breaks my heart into so many pieces seeing them go. I know I wish my Mum could live forever. xo
Sue Beneteau

Anonymous said...

12 Aug 2011:
Tina, I'm so sorry. It sounds like it's for the best and what he'd want. Thanks for the update.

Barbara Nixon

Anonymous said...

12 Aug 2011:
Well hell is certainly appropriate - just read your blog & email. I'm so sorry. This sucks. I'm sending positive thoughts & energy.

Much love,
Sue Boyd

Anonymous said...

12 Aug 2011:
Sorry to hear that you're going through some rough times.

Let me know if there is a good time to call and chat. I'm in training
tomorrow til 4 pm or so, but Cathy would also be available.

Paul West

Anonymous said...

12 Aug 2011:
I'm so sorry. I know that your heart and mind are overwhelmed right now. While I know that there are no words to help comfort you but please know that we love you and are praying for you and the rest of Frank's family as well as for restful peace and easy transition in God's hands.

Please call me, anytime, you want to talk.

I love you,
Penny Bos

Anonymous said...

12 Aug 2011:
So very sorry, he is a good man. Please tell him hello for me.
Sam Delong