Tuesday, August 21, 2012

ol' blue eyes

There's a book out there in which Frank Sinatra has a quote about friendship. I know of this book because the wave purchased it during the 2012 Midwestern-Canada Adventure and briefly showed it to me as he placed his sack of books in the trunk. He said the quote made him think of me and him and our friendship. Nice, right?
You betcha.
So, he sends me the quote, by text message, natch.
Ol' Blue Eyes was lobbed a query about how to know if someone was a friend for life. His response? "You bypass the acquaintance stage immediately. Either your currents are different and the chemistry isn't there or else you're hooked and you're a friend immediately - and, in most cases, permanently."
Wow. Currents? Chemistry? Hooked?
How incredible that someone out there, someone who was a quotable celebrity, would utter those particular words, words which hold some special sway for a chick like me.
How very incredible that when my dear friend read those words, I was brought to mind.
I am... fortunate? blessed? overwhelmed?
Yes.
And relieved to know that piece of my heart is safe.

1 comment:

faustina said...

For the sake of anyone reading this, I am identifying "the wave". With a last name such as Secrest, how could I have described Jeff the physicist in any other way?
Well, I do also call him my bfe, because he is extraordinary.
(smile)