Wednesday, October 3, 2012

what if

"I don't believe in hypothetical situations. It's like lying to your brain."
So spoke a literal-minded character on "30 Rock".
Sometimes I catch myself weaving story lines I know to be untrue, tales to make my life seem more fulfilled, more exciting, more...worth living.
Sometimes I even catch myself believing the fabrications more so than the reality.
And sometimes the threads woven to tether me to this world begin to unravel and I find myself unwilling to remain.
I had one of those moments a few weeks ago after "Project Shiphunt". The film left me desperately missing my mother.
I found myself in a restaurant downtown, unable to stop crying, wishing myself anywhere but on this blue-green orb.
The waitstaff let me be and didn't ask questions beyond general needs.
More tea?
Is the food okay?
Can I get you anything else?
And I sobbed and ate a delicious meal and watched the fish and ignored the chatterings of those sitting behind me, ignored others who entered and left as I sat.
And I sobbed, quietly, wiping saltwater stains onto my shirtsleeves.
By the time I was to return to the Ocean Film Festival, my tears were fairly spent. And the next film helped to strengthen my tether once more, at least for the night.


3 comments:

faustina said...

Going through the drafts on my phone, I found an old one that belongs with this post.

"I miss Mama so much. I just watched a film called Project Shiphunt and realized how proud she was of me. I wish I could tell her about it."

faustina said...

I stumbled upon this post today and decided to try to find a copy of "Project Shiphunt" to watch again.
Well, guess what?
It DOES exist on the waves of ether!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk7e40M9yjI

Also, the movie was in a film festival during the first year of pandemic.
I wonder what It may have won?
https://watch.eventive.org/arkhaiosfilmfestival2020/play/5f60be03b5695f007d8bdec6/5f5d102b94dc5d00595ed7d4

And, the documentary was in the Thunder Bay International Film Festival back in 2019!
https://www.visitalpena.com/event-detail/sanctuary-cinema-project-shiphunt/

faustina said...

How wonderful to see this again, a decade after my first time!
I find myself wondering what became of those five high school students.
Did they follow a path into marine science? Interactive video control of explorer robots? Instrument design? Unsolved historical events?
No tears this time, just smiles and happy thoughts.