Thursday, January 31, 2013

Happy National Gorilla Suit Day!

I didn't actually ever spot the Gorilla running around today, but I spoke with plenty who had! Yes, indeed, today was National Gorilla Suit Day, a day made famous by MAD magazine's Don Martin and promoted by my good friend, SamJ. He was even known to rent a suit and go to his dialysis appointment, should it happen to fall on January 31st!
As I said, I have it on good authority from both my bfe and my librarian friend that a big Gorilla was, indeed, running around on campus in the morning hours, making a guest appearance in the library. And I missed it! Drats! And when the librarian and I went to lunch on campus, I heard that the big Gorilla had been there as well, and I had missed him by twenty minutes or so. Drats, foiled again! And later, after visiting the soon-ending art exhibit, I bopped over to the home of the big Gorilla, only to find he was gone for the day. Double drats!! But he was online last night and reassured me that there would be pictures, so I will try to be patient, a skill I am working on.
Interestingly, the big Gorilla didn't even know about NGSD until I told him last fall. During convocation, the fact was revealed that the new man on campus OWNED a gorilla suit. Let me say that again: he actually OWNS his very own gorilla suit. Wow, how totally cool, I thought, SamJ would've been so very jealous! So, afterward, I made a point of going up and introducing myself and asking him if he were a big fan of National Gorilla Suit Day. He had no idea what I was talking about.
Seriously.
The man had his OWN suit and no one had ever mentioned the special celebratory spot on the calendar reserved for Gorilla Suits. Then again, maybe he had never known anyone who knew anyone like SamJ.
Perhaps.
So, after reassuring him that there was such a day and that I would send him weblinks, I did so. And I made sure to include a link to SamJ's blog, as he was inspirational when it came to gorilla suits. The suit-owner thanked me for the links and I wondered briefly if he would be ballsy enough to act on wearing the Gorilla Suit on its special day.
Then I forgot to mark my calendar for the event. Drats!
But the Suit-Owner did mark his calendar.
Yeah!!! Now, to wait for the pictures!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy National Gorilla Suit Day! Enjoy this year's NGSD episode. Best wishes, Dan & John http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0OtXFC89cw&list=UUuLd_20U6IwS3lmoszSAfWw&index=1

faustina said...

Very cool, y'all! Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

I saw the provost in his gorilla outfit. I know you like that he has one.
the physicist

31 Jan 2013, 12:44 PM