Thursday, April 23, 2015

stray thoughts about baseball games past



For those who aren't versed in such things, the above photo was taken after a winning game. In this case, the game was played on our turf and we won, so the Sand Gnats players all ran back out onto the field for some congratulatory, glove-knocking, high fives. Woohoo!
Last night was the last game of our first home stand. I was teaching, as that's what I do on Monday and Wednesday evenings, as I have done for twenty years now.
I missed the game.
That led me to looking through the "drafts" folder on my phone, flipping through notes made at games past. For the sake of clearing up some space on my seven-year-old flip phone, those notes are going to be moved here for safe keeping.
Let's just hope I remember where they are!

***** ***** *****

The following were all before the death of my stepbrother, George, in September, 2013. How can I be sure they predate his death?
When I had visited him in the hospital, I shared a baseball joke with him. In return, he shared a joke with me. I still have the punchline in my "drafts" folder.

A balk, a sliding center field catch, a double play - all b4 the 3rd inning!

My boys! My boys! My boys are on fire! 2 runs in the 1st, 2 sliding catches in the 2nd! Then a 3rd run in the 2nd!

Such a pretty catch and throw by SS! Almost like he was dancing!


***** ***** *****

These other lines are from the 2014 baseball season.

Man on third brought in by a balk, third and short dancing under a pop and allowing our man to get a double.
Our guy makes it to third on a wild pitch, but catcher tried to throw him out but threw WILD and our guy picked himself up from his slide into third and ran, making it to home between the catcher's legs, his feet hitting home as the catcher got the ball.
"SAFE!", the umpire called.
Yeah!

My tongue tripped around my eyetooth and I couldn't see what I was saying.

I made Willie speechless! Lol.
We were talking about the SAL hierarchy and I was rattling it off, then turned to him and asked, "Right?"
He laughed and laughed!


No comments: