Saturday, April 4, 2015

t-boned!



I hadn't even planned to drive on MLK.
My intention had been to take Henry to Drayton, Drayton to Oglethorpe, and park around Telfair Square, as I normally do when attending events on the west end of downtown.
Then, I could walk over to the Ships of the Sea Museum's North Garden, for my final event as a volunteer for the Savannah Music Festival.
I was even planning to stop in at Carlito's for some dinner beforehand.
That was my intention and I had plenty of time to make it all happen.
Then I ended up in the wrong lane as I approached Drayton, having to drive on by as I could not turn right.
Drats.
Well, should I turn on Bull, then circle back to Drayton?
Nah, I would just go on down to MLK. From there, I could still get over to Telfair Square. Who knows? Maybe I could even park near SOS. That would be sah-weet!
So, at the end of Henry, I turned right onto MLK, staying in the rightmost lane. There was a little traffic, but nothing major. The light at the KFC was yellow when I passed under it, but I had greens for the next few.
Then, at the intersection with Gaston, as I passed under the green light, a most curious thing happened. I felt a push behind me and my car began moving toward the oncoming cars on the left-hand side of MLK. WHAT?! I corrected my aim, removing my foot from the gas pedal, trying to figure out what was going on, moving back into the rightmost lane. In my rearview mirror, I saw the white car move out of the intersection and onto Gaston Street. Realizing that they must have hit me, I took the first right, then circled around the block to go to Gaston Street.
The young woman was furious.
She said she had the green light.
She called the police for us and we both told our stories to Office Nelson when he came.
I was shaking so hard I could barely get my insurance card out. I had to keep leaning against my car and trying to catch my breath.
The driver of the Toyota was fine. Her airbag didn't even open. She must have just started into the intersection when her car hit mine. Did she jump the green light?
Who can say? We couldn't have both had green lights. No one seemed to have witnessed the accident, so I have no idea what will happen next. The officer did not give a citation to me and I did not see him give one to her, either.
Thirty minutes later, we were both free to go. I headed back toward SOS. Too late for any dinner, but at least I found a close parking space and was on time to check in.
I still felt a little shaky, but the work was a welcome distraction.
I was assigned to tear tickets with G. That worked out well for both of us, with us taking turns enjoying a couple of songs before heading back to our post.
We had some good conversations, too! He has a smart phone, so I learned how to count to three in Ukranian (odin, dva, tri, pronounced OH din, vah, tree, respectively). I also learned to say "Welcome", but I've already forgotten part of it.
Anywho... this is the fourth or fifth event we've worked together, starting with the opera matinee. Each time, we've spoken more and opened up more, though still keeping it casual.
Then, on Thursday night, we had worked the "South Africa Meets the American South" early show. He had front door duty, I was in the lobby. When I was able to come in for part of the show, G had come up behind me, to talk in my ear about the show.
Nice! I like that "move". I tried to be casual, because I didn't know if he was actually making a move or was simply trying to be quiet.
But I liked it.
We talked during the intermission and again during the shift change for the second show. He opted to stay and watch part of it; I stayed to help Daniela, the Event House Manager, as she was short a couple of people. G only stayed for a couple of songs, this time with the second act playing first. I don't think the folk music was quite his scene.
So, tonight, I volunteered to tear tickets... and so did he.
Nice.
And we had such good comraderie, too.
Very nice.
After the concert, we were both saying goodbyes to some of the folks: Cindy, Franci, Judy. Barbara was calling the garage to see when they closed.
Good news! They were open all the time!
Then I invited him to join me and Barbara at Carlito's for some dinner.
And he accepted!
And we all had a good time together! He and she talked basketball and retirement locations and guacamole. I joined in from time to time, eating my dinner and listening.
He's very smart and seems to be very kind.
Nice!
And I have his phone number now.
I will try very hard to not get crazy...
...but I make no promises.
Maybe I was driving along the right path after all.
If I had eaten dinner earlier, Barbara and I might have opted for dessert at The Diner. G might not have been interested in joining us for that. We all would have gotten into our cars and traveled separately, losing the thread of our conversation, allowing the moment to slip away.
Odd how things work out.

No comments: