Tuesday, August 4, 2015

hit and run


Honestly, the song that comes to mind, in between the tears, is this one by Def Leppard.
Here's what I posted on facebook just moments ago.

"To the white, brunette female in the white SUV that slammed into the back of my car on E-516 yesterday, just before the Montgomery Street light, and then DROVE AWAY: Officer Powell informed me that the police have traffic cameras at that "reduce speed" caution light. YOU WILL BE FOUND AND PROSECUTED FOR BEING A HIT-AND-RUN DRIVER.
Meanwhile, if anyone knows someone who witnessed the accident, about 1:30 PM yesterday (Monday, August 3), please contact me or the police dept and ask for Officer Powell. The road was full of people and we were all stopped for the light when the reckless driver hit me."


Honestly, I am still in shock.
My poor, disabled car is sitting, crippled, in my driveway.
I had it towed here, to my home, rather than to a service center.
I know I wasn't thinking clearly. I was almost home from the weekend trip to the wedding in Tennessee, the visit in Summerville, and the birthday of my great-niece.
I was almost home.
I am so glad I had stopped for an early lunch, to have an iced tea and use a bathroom. I almost had forgone that side trip. After all, it's only about two hours from Louisville to Savannah. I should have made it with no problem, even with the sporadic rain showers.
However, considering that I sat in the heat, in the left-hand pull-out on ever-busy Lynes Parkway for more than forty minutes, waiting, waiting, waiting for help to arrive... taking that early lunch break was a blessing.
Another blessing is that I was not seriously injured.
Sure, when the stray police officer riding westbound pulled over to see what was going on, and I found out that the 911 dispatcher had botched the call, I lost it and started hyperventilating. He must have seen in my eyes that I thought I was going to die. He immediately changed his call with the dispatcher from Code 5 to Code 8 (or something like that) and an EMS crew and police officer arrived within minutes. The EMS duo found my blood pressure was crazy high (180 over 110); after they had me sit in their cool van for a few minutes, those numbers had both dropped 20 points. They had me sign off that I did not want to go to the hospital.
Of course I didn't want to go to the hospital. All of my important possessions were now in a car with a busted trunk. I wanted to go home, to try to feel safe again.
And I wasn't in any pain.

Here are the responses from those who know and love me.
These are posted right here, not afterward as comments, because I need for them to be part of this post.
Please bear with me.

Jim Casey Are you ok? Somehow I feel certain you have a sore neck and stiff back.
August 4 at 10:34am

Faustina Smith I do not as of yet. I was very relaxed, just enjoying the tune on the radio, and I think that probably saved me. I had no idea she was screaming up behind me until she actually hit my car.
August 4 at 10:40am

Lorretta Ruggiero Hope they get her!
August 4 at 10:36am

Kristin Stout Oh my! I hope you are alright!
August 4 at 10:40am

Faustina Smith I think I may be alright. I was very relaxed at the time of the collision, so that helped. My trunk was shifted inward by 3 inches and the clutch came disengaged. I hope she has blue paint all over the front of her vehicle. I hope she goes to jail.
August 4 at 10:42am

Faustina Smith The scariest part was when the police officer came by, on his way to elsewhere, and I found out the 911 dispatcher had not sent assistance to me. I started crying hard and hyperventilating - very scary. EMS checked me out and, except for elevated b.p. and pulse, I was okay.
August 4 at 10:47am

Faustina Smith I had already been waiting 40 minutes.
August 4 at 10:48am

Heather Szatmary Let me know if you need anything. Still on summer schedule and very flexible.
August 4 at 10:50am

Keller Jones Probably the same one who hit me four years ago...White SUV, brunette with shoulder length brown hair. Weasley her way our of it in front of five or six witnesses, by saying "Now I'm not SAYIN' I ran the red light. Do you hear me?..."
August 4 at 10:57am

Faustina Smith Sounds like her. The traffic camera is going to send her sorry self to jail and strip her of her drivers license.
August 4 at 10:45pm

Bunny Jones Roberts Oh, no!
August 4 at 10:58am

Eric De LaSalle Omg Faustina, are you ok?
August 4 at 11:08am

Jean Marie Morgan Oh no! Are you ok?! We will be praying for you and keep us posted on how you're doing as well as catching the "lady" who hit you
August 4 at 11:11am

Sarah Logan-Reynolds I'm glad that you are okay!
August 4 at 11:15am

Susan Goodwin So sorry that happened, Tina.
August 4 at 11:45am

Emily Barry Blackmon Glad you are okay!!!
August 4 at 11:59am

Lindsay McCord Norman I'm so sorry! I hope you weren't injured?
August 4 at 12:00pm

Sandra Cherise Karlin That's awful! Sorry, Tina! Hopefully someone got her license plate number and will turn it in. Glad you are okay!
August 4 at 12:06pm

Shea Lee Are you ok?
August 4 at 12:28pm

Jackie Frant Are you ok?
August 4 at 12:28pm

Sharon Frain Novinger I'm sorry!! Hope you are doing better!
August 4 at 12:30pm

Sherry LuvsLyfe Allen You didn't get hurt did you?
August 4 at 12:59pm

Fae Hill Kameron I hope that she is identified and charged. Do you know if the police alert local body shops when incidents like this happen?
August 4 at 6:42pm

Faustina Smith I have no idea. I hope so.
August 4 at 10:46pm

Kathy Landers Schaal Oh no!! Glad you're ok!! Keep us posted.....
August 4 at 8:11pm

Jo Coleman Are you o k? One doesn't usually feel the aches and pains until the adrenaline wears off. Take it easy
August 4 at 10:23pm

Faustina Smith So far, I seem to be okay. Usual aches and pains from being on this planet for more than five decades. I'm glad I had no idea it was going to happen until it did. My feelings are hurt more than anything else, by her dastardly behavior, by the neglect of the 911 operator. And by the disabling of my car. I was returning from a wedding in TN and had all kinds of plans. As always, right?
August 4 at 10:50pm

Jo Coleman And in addition to the physical.... There is the disappointment that people don't treat us the way we treat them. Karma will get her
August 6 at 2:38pm

No comments: