Monday, December 17, 2012

open letter to mr. stephen j. cloobeck

Today is my first day of my holiday in Florida and I chose to stay at Daytona Beach Regency. I've stayed here many times over the last decade and regard the site as one of my top favorites.
After this morning, my very first morning here, I think the bloom is off the rose, so to speak.
I had drawn the drapes last night when I finally went to bed, knowing that the sunlight would otherwise awaken me far too early. And so I slept well. Then, upon awaking, I slid open one of the drapes in the bedroom, allowing blue-sky brilliance to spill into the room. Nice!
Then I walked into the living room and adjusted the thermostat, then approached the drapes. I had drawn all of the drapes closed before retiring for the evening; all, that is, except the sheer across the glass door. That would allow some morning sunshine into the area, but not so much as to awaken me from my slumbers.
So, I approach the sheer, intending to open the light-blocking drapes to either side of it - and there is a man, rapelling from the roof, onto my balcony! Straight across from me, through the sheer! And I'm nude.
I didn't know if he saw me through the sheer or not. As soon as I saw him, I ducked behind the darkening drapes, but then I felt that I was trapped. I didn't know if the building was under attack, or if some nut had chosen the eleventh floor of the Daytona Beach Regency to break into, or if this was a stunt of some type.
I just knew there was a stranger on my balcony, I was nude, and I could not reach a phone without revealing myself to the stranger.
And all before coffee. Which I normally would be enjoying on the balcony. Especially on my very first morning at the beach.
I cautiously peeked around the drape and saw the man had moved to the window outside the bedroom. I still did not feel safe using the phone on the living room table, as that was by the sheer on the glass door. I scooted toward the bedroom door, making sure the man was not by the opened drapes, then grabbed my nightgown. But I could not use the phone in the bedroom, either, as the man would have seen me cross the room. Try to bear in mind that I did not know WHY the man was on my balcony; I only knew that he was there, as I could see him when I tried to approach the phone on the bedside table.
Finally, I saw him move back toward the living room windows and I darted to the phone and called the front desk.
When the front desk answered, in hushed tones I said, "There's a man on my balcony, a man who I saw rapell onto the balcony."
"He's just cleaning the windows, ma'am."
"No, he is not. I have been watching him. He rapelled onto my balcony, then stood there, looking at the beach. He did not clean the windows. And he just rapelled off my balcony."
The young woman responded, "Well, he's supposed to be up there cleaning the windows. I'll find out and call you back."
So, I drew the drape closed in the bedroom, then got back into bed. To wait.
Finally, a different young woman, Mandy, called me back.
"Yes, ma'am, the man was there to clean the windows. You should have been notified when you checked in last night."
"No, no one told me. I had no idea that I would be accosted by a strange man on my balcony my very first morning of my stay. I am very disappointed."
"Oh, I'm sorry, ma'am, but you should have been told when you checked in. Didn't Jonathan tell you? Also, we had called the rooms yesterday to let everyone know."
"No, Jonathan didn't tell me when I checked in late yesterday afternoon. And there was no notice in the elevator or in my room."
"Ma'am, I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do?"
"I don't know. I am very disappointed. I always like to have my coffee on the balcony and look at the ocean on my first morning here and now that is ruined. I am very disappointed. I just may cancel the rest of my stay and leave."
"I am so sorry, ma'am. If there is anything I can do, please let me know."
"I'm not sure there is anything you could do."
Then I hung up the phone.

I still don't know what I will do. But I don't think I'll be referring any of my friends and family to Diamond Resorts International. I've been a member since they took over Sunterra, which I had enjoyed. DRI seems more interested in my money than in me.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Having just returned from an end of year retreat at Daytona Beach Regency, I can report that the rappelling window washers are still employed there.
Good!
That company employs former military, and that job is well suited for men and women who once trained for long hours at perfecting that skill.
At least DBR makes sure to telephone the guests the day before the window washing company will be active at their task.
Good!