Tuesday, December 18, 2012

tuesday, tuesday in the afternoon

With a nod to Morphine, and thanks to management, I did not have to wait for Thursday for relief. By high noon, I was transferred to a new suite, a safe haven from the nightmares of the night before. I'm operating on just a few hours sleep, but I feel compelled to share what a fabulous day this has been since my transfer to the ninth floor of the DBR.
For starters, this is the new view I have. Not an ocean view room, but an oceanSIDE room. That means I'll hear the murmuring of the waves as I drift to sleep, and the singing of the sea as i wake in the morning. Heavenly music!
Also, the layout of this suite is completely different. The eleventh floor suite may have been larger, but THIS is a much more comfortable place to me. As well as not having a boogie man lurking on the balcony, the living area is a completely separate space from the bedroom. For whatever reason, that "feels" safer mentally to me. And, that is the important issue: feeling safer. Mental peace of mind.
So, after being rescued from the depths of my mind, I cruised up to Saint Augustine to visit a few of my favorite sites. The Black Knight Deli, home of freshly, and lovingly, made Polish foods, was open and manned by its owner, Vince. Yeah!!! I loaded up my huge cooler with pierogi stuffed with sauerkraut and black mushroom, pork and rice-filled golumbki (that's stuffed cabbage, to those not in the know!), and a huge coil of fresh kielbasa. YUM!!! I'm even planning to share some with my ex when he is in town next week. After all, if not for sixteen years with him, I wouldn't even be half-versed in these foods, and that would be a shame.
After getting my fill of future delights, I needed a fix from another favorite: the colorful and garlic-rich Gypsy Cab Company. Oh, yeah, baby! For lunch, I dined on grilled salmon, in some yummy, savorful sauce, getting maximum enjoyment for as long as I could. Oh, how I longed for more as the last bite entered my lips! Perhaps I'll wander that way again in a few days... but I doubt it. There are so many wonderful eateries HERE that I have not yet tried. You know?
And now that my hunger had been sated, it was time to slake my thirst... for Blanc Du Bois, that is. I don't usually go for white wines, as they tend toward sweet rather than dry, but THIS one... Ah, this one is THE BEST! The monks at San Sebastian Winery have created this divine liquid from the grapes of Florida, and I am so very hooked on it. It's been quite a few years since I quaffed this elixir and I so look forward to uncorking a bottle soon. Oh, yes. For now, the bottles of that dry, grapefruit-tinged delight will wait, as will the sassy-smooth Rosa and the aptly-named Castillo Red. I even relented to include the Vintner's Red, to create a flight of fancy for the taste buds.
Yes, Merry Christmas! I think I'm finally full of the spirit!


No comments: