Friday, July 26, 2013

insider information

"Dinner! Here, dinner!"
When I wrote that particular line in February, I should have added a sidebar for its origin. You see, that line - or its kin, "Supper! Here, supper! - has been part of my repertoire for many years. In fact, so much time has elapsed since it first came into being that I cannot recall even an approximation of its birth.
At this point in the game, it simply is.
My ex and I coined it and used it frequently.
Neither of us wanting to cook? "The Line" to the rescue! Out we would go in search of meals prepared by others.
Hungry and can't wait for food to be cooked? "The Line" would point us in the direction of the closest Mexican restaurant (where they feed you chips and salsa NOW) or Chinese buffet (where they allow you immediate access to ready and waiting food).
The food is on the stove and almost done? "The Line" would be trotted out to indicate that something sure was smelling good around here! How much longer until it was done?

The peace Guy and I have our own little insider joke.
We're the "dessert first" people.
Back a while ago, he and I had gone to Fiddler's Seafood with a Valpak coupon. I can't recall the specifics of the coupon, but I think it was a buy-one-entree, get-a-discount-on-another type of deal.
That evening, they were featuring peach cobbler.
Nice! Next to bread pudding, that's my dessert of choice!
One problem: it was served a la mode.
So a lactase would have to be sacrificed... or would it?
Heck no! I could get the ice cream on the side and give it to the peace Guy! Right?
Yeah! Sounded good to him!
Oh, and could we go ahead and start with dessert, instead of getting a more traditional appetizer?
Um, sure, the waiter said. We can do that.
Coolness!
And so it was done.
We had our dessert first, him eating the ice cream, me sharing some of the cobbler with him. And it was good: the food, the company, and life itself.
Later that evening, the peace Guy was at one of the hot spots on River Street with a friend who has some resemblance to me. Suddenly he hears "Hey, there are the dessert first people!" And it's the waiter from Fiddler's!
He had recognized the peace Guy, of course.
Coolness!
And so was born that tale, a tale which resurfaces from time to time, as it did today.
The peace Guy shared it at a going-away luncheon at a restaurant new to both of us. Three friends had joined us there and, as I was perusing the dessert listings, he regaled them with the tale.
Very nice!
I'm so glad we have that special shared memory!
It's so very important to have people who know me.

No comments: