Thursday, July 25, 2013

you just might find you get what you need

Sometimes, you think you know how things are going to go. I mean, you are sure that this particular action will produce this result.
Not necessarily so, you know.
That doesn't negate the result, though.
This gift from a loving student is a perfect example. She had been to my office several times over the past two years and knew I fancied mortar and pestle sets. I wouldn't say I collect them, but I certainly like the two I had displayed on a top shelf.
This past spring, she was taking a pottery class. She had spoken of it several times to me, so I was aware she was working with clay, making some items for family and friends.
She had asked me about my favorite colors and I had responded, as I often do, with "hot pink and dark purple." Why? Well, it goes back to commercials with the furry Pepto-Bismol monster, but I may well be the only person who recals that creature.
She made that mental note of my colors and said no more about it.
Fast-forward to the end of the semester. Final exams are done and my grades are in.
She comes to my office with this mortar and pestle. Made just for me.
She had painted the mortar a lush dark purple, the pestle a hot and loud pink.
Then she had placed the items in the kiln and the colors had transformed.
The results were not what she had envisioned for me, but she knew I would be appreciative of her efforts.
She knew I would value it because she had put a part of herself into this gift for me.
She knew how sentimental I am.
Thank you, LaNesa.
I'm going to miss you.
I do hope you will still come by to visit, wherever my new space may be.

No comments: