Sunday, July 7, 2013

eis kald lemon drinka

Today, Melaness and I and her hubby did something a little different: we went to the Kutztown Folk Festival! Actually, I was the only one who found it to be different, as they had gone several years ago.
This was the 65th year of the festival and the generosity of the people there was evident from the moment we parked. Several folks came up, offering us the $3 discount passes and one woman even gave us an adult pass! Nice! Then, because of my new age, my ticket was another $2 off. Sah-weet!
There was hoe-downing by the Miller family - aka square-dancing and clogging - and the Sonon Brothers making hay into rectangular bales. Harry Serio educated us on the spirituality of the Mennonites while Leroy Brown and Bill Meck translated jokes in the Pennsylvania Dutch language. There were hex signs and peppermint oils and repurposed tin ornaments elaborate puzzles from different woods.
There was even a Quilt Barn, housing the hundreds of quilts for sale during the festival. Several of the quilts even had ocean and fish themes! One design was fairly simple, consisting of a single, simple line, fish in a four-square space, repeated in different colors to compose the quilt. It certainly would require a lot of sewing, but then again, so do ALL quilts! I know from experience!
In my early 20's, I made a quilted travel pillow for my Grandmama, using remnants from some of the dance clothes I had made. The color scheme was a white background with a starburst of shades of pink. That pillow took quite a while to make! Every moment of that time was well worth it, too. I have the pillow now and can still feel the love I stitched into it for her.
But let's not overlook the FOOD available at the festival! Pierogi with horseradish dipping sauce! Grilled, thick slabs of sweet bologna, with mustard of your choice! A tall, cool pitcher of birch beer to quench the thirst of tired walkers! Yum, yum, yum!!!
And that's just what I ate! There were grilled brats and wursts and roasted ox! Corn fritters and funnelcakes and shoofly pies and apple dumplings! Even sarsasparilla and orange drinka and lemon drinka!
Yep, I had one of those, too, that lemon drinka. I had hesitated to do so, expecting something absurdly sweet. Nope! The juice of three large lemons, pressed right before my eyes, then the addition of ... club soda? Something fizzy, but not sweet. Very refreshing!!!
The photo above is the only one that still exists, of all the ones I took that day. You'll notice that no faces are showing. Although I had tried to be careful, perhaps the other pictures did have recognizable people in them. I don't know, I only know they never reached my email address. I had assumed they had, so I had deleted them from my phone, all except the one for the lemon drinka.
Ah, well. That was the one I most wanted, so all is well!





No comments: