Monday, July 8, 2013

cheers! (Anyone speak Belgian?)

Who would have expected a Belgian restaurant in a tiny town like Carlisle? Not I!
Yet, there it was, in the heart of downtown, down the street from the cannon-blasted columns of the courthouse. (But that is another story.)
Café Bruges is small, but not too small. We were part of an early group of diners, but we were spread out all over the restaurant to maximize privacy. Very nice! We had started with a flight of their summer beer selections and the tastes ranged from a a banana dessert-style beer, greatly enjoyed by the Melaness to a hoppy pale for her hubby, and a third pale which we all enjoyed. But my absolute favorite was the Bourgogne des Flandres.
Oh, my! So rich and plummy! So smooth and full-bodied! The Bourgogne was almost a wine, it seemed, due to its aging in oak barrels. Dreamy!!! Dark in color, delightful to the nose and tongue and head! I drank the glass of it in the flight, then ordered a bottle to accompany my dinner. To my surprise, it even had a special glass to enhance its bouquet and the drinking experience... wow!!!
My dinner was one of the specials that night. Delicately-grained meatloaf, topped with a light cherry sauce. Ah, melted in my mouth! The entree was accompanied by parsleyed new potatoes and perfectly prepared green beans. The rest of the group had the lamb burger (the driving motivator for our trip to this site) and mussels.
Such a good recommendation by my dear friends! I look forward to more encounters with Belgian cuisine - and dark Belgian brews!

No comments: