Tuesday, July 30, 2013

seven up!

Last night at karaoke, I sang seven songs!!!
And I sand them all over a three-hour span of time!!!
Zoom zoom!!!
No, really! Usually, the biggest problem with doing karaoke is having to wait about an hour between singing the songs you gave the KJ (karaoke jock).
Seriously. Enough people want to sing that you have to wait your turn and that wait is, typically, at least 45 minutes, but more often an hour. I've sometimes had to wait even longer than that.
I know, it sounds like a really long time. But, let's do the math, shall we?
I insist.
Okay. Let's consider that most songs are about five minutes long. That should mean that you could get twelve singers per hour.
But that isn't correct. That doesn't include the time it takes for folks to come when called, to get to the stage, to get off the stage. So, in all honesty, about ten singers per hour is as much as is optimally possible.
If you're not dealing with sauntering drunks.
Which you usually are.
So... the actual number of singers in any sixty-minute period is eight. Usually.
Last night, I was able to get in a song about every twenty-five minutes... YES!
I truly enjoy singing! And here at Club One on Mondays and Tuesdays, the KJ was usually the partner of my retired swimmer friend, making it a friendly environment. On this particular Monday, however, I showed up with the peace Guy after he got off work and found that another KJ was standing in for her. But he was the very talented Stanley and he flat-out ruled at getting songs done!
I started my set with some German rock, "The Zoo." I was introduced to the Scorpions' music by my boyfriend, Mikey. He had come to Okinawa from Germany and had lots of new albums to broaden my horizons. This song was an easy way to start - and fun!
Then I sang "China Girl" for the effervescent JinHi. Yeah, i didn't do so well on the Bowie tune. Maybe I should have done "We Can Be Heroes" instead? Ah, well, spilled milk now.
Then more not-quite-right from me with "Bring Me To Life". Evanescence is awesome with this heartfelt song! I keep trying to do it, as it has meaning for me in my AD world. Notice that word: trying.
Better to go with a song I sometimes whistle in the university halls: Ozzy's (Flying High Again"! Lots of energy, fun lyrics! Nailed it!
Yeah! Love that rock and roll! Keep it comin'!
So I did. My fifth offering was some Led Zeppelin. Mind you, most of their songs have titles that hardly relate to the lyrics and the one I did, "Black Dog", is certainly one of those. But it's a classic and you'd recognize it instantly if you heard it!
By this time, I was ready to have a little fun, do something for the show-tunes crowd. A little "Hair", anyone? No, not really. That title track is a bit off-kilter to sing. Fine! So I did "Good Morning Starshine" - dooby ooby walla, dooby abba dabba, y'all!
By this time, it was almost closing time. Time for a duet with a sweet young man I'd been doing a little dancing with! Nothing like Sinatra's "New York, New York" to shake loose those last vocal chords!
What a fine evening!
And whaddaya know?
The peace Guy has even caught the karaoke flu!
He's been singing for about a month now, maybe a little longer.
My job here is done!
(smile!)



1 comment:

faustina said...

Such code words I slung in as aliases!
The "retired swimmer" in Deborah Ray and the KJ is her partner - and now wife - Kimmi. They are both living in Costa Rica now and loving the perpetual beach weather.
I keep thinking about driving down there, as I had done in 1978. I wonder how much the Pan-American Highway has changed?
The Peace Guy? Oh, that one's easy! He's Joe Guy, the only Quaker I know and a real sweetheart.
Hope this helps!