Monday, April 20, 2015

more pineapple upside-down cake



I've been wondering what was wrong with me. I've been on the edge of tears for days now.
Sometimes, the tears have been overwhelming.
Twice, while watching movies that should not have been tear-producers, I have found myself sobbing. "Furious 7" was one of them; I passed off the tears as being in sympathy for the real-life death of Paul Walker and figurative death of that action-packed series about fast cars.
Yesterday, an animated film about aliens seeking a new planet, "H@ME", was the culprit. I had to sit in the theatre until everyone left so I could regain my composure.
I actually had tears in my eyes earlier yesterday at the ballpark. I was sitting with Lynn, as her daughter Lauri was not there. She was regaling me with the tale of her dancing at the breakfast place on Tybee. Someone had said that she and her daughter were their favorite mother-daughter pair. I voiced my agreement, while trying to hide my tearing eyes from her.
I had thought, maybe, that missing my mother was the cause. I have already received a couple of emails from sites promoting Mother's Day items. Already. It's almost a month away!
So, I was blaming those sites.
Today, I realized that more was going on.
It's pineapple upside-down cake time again.
Time to remember Sam.
Time to remember Daddy.
Time to toast those gone with hunks of pineapple upside-down cake.
The Galley had that on the lunch menu today, too. I knew as soon as I saw it that they had made it for me.
True, they may not have realized that they had done so.
But there are no coincidences.
I had the piece above for Sam.

Then I had a second piece for my Daddy.
i thank You, God, for this gift.

How do I know this was not just a coincidence?
I don't usually dine at the Galley for lunch. I eat an early dinner there, on Mondays and Wednesdays, prior to my 6:00 PM lecture.
Lunch is eaten at home, if I awaken early enough to have a breakfast instead of a lunch.
Not today.
I found myself checking the Galley's website this morning, telling myself I might have lunch instead of dinner. Right away, I spotted the cake on the lunch's dessert listing. Nice cake!
Then I looked at the dinner menu. Oh, no! Breakfast for dinner! And no special cake, either!
I am so glad I looked at the menu.
On top of all of the hugs I received and gave last night at the Odd Lot show, the gift of the "nice" cake has reminded me of how fortunate I am to know such love.

Now, to find a distraction for Mother's Day.
This will be my fifteenth one without Mama.
Assistance will be most welcome.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Grandma, Lorena Lee, the only grandmother I ever had.

Mother Pat, Patricia Landers, my ex's mom, the best mother-in-law ever.

Jean Marie Morgan, my niece who took her own life because a gun was handy.

Yes, April is a hard month for me.